TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone! I have an interview with Sullcrom tomorrow and I’m dizzy with nerves because
A) I’ve noticed that I made a technical mistake on my cover letter lol
B) Sullcrom are really picky about grades and I’m racking my brains on how to explain a bad grade I got, without sounding like I’m just making excuses (I’m surprised I even got an interview considering how average my grades are)

If anyone has any tips or techniques on how to basically calm tf down and keep cool during the interview, it would be much appreciated. Also any general CV-based interview tips and experiences with Sullcrom are definitely welcome too 😉

By no means an expert but this would be my approach:

A) If it comes up address it and just explain it was a technical mistake. Don't overthink it.
B) A bad grade is just a bad grade. An exam is a snapshot of how much information you could regurgitate at a particular moment in time. Some days that goes well, other days less so. Don't make excuses but just own that you had a hard time on a particular assignment or exam - then segue into how you overcame that moving forward. Really wouldn't dwell on it much more than that.

You've already been invited for interview - that means they're willing to overlook your bad grade. They won't get hung up on it if you don't.
Hi @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs,

@FS has given you some fantastic advice here. I agree wholeheartedly with what they have said. As clichéd as it sounds, be yourself. You are not being called for interview by chance. They have chosen you for a reason. It is all the more impressive that you perhaps had to make up for average grades elsewhere in your application (I am unsure how SullCrom's process works so this might not apply).

Anyway! Going into interview, I would advise that you double-down on what you do offer rather than what you don't.

Your grades should not matter at this stage. From my experience, the best way to answer a "why did you get this grade?" question is to focus on the areas in which it inspired your personal development. How did you make a potentially difficult or disappointing result into something productive.

Congratulations for getting invited for interview at SullCrom. I have only met one future trainee from SullCrom and they really couldn't speak more highly about their experience at the firm. I really hope that you have the same experience tomorrow.

Please do let me know when you find out! Keen to hear how it goes!

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Don’t want to submit my travers app because don’t think it’s good enough and can’t bear a 3rd rejection from my fave firm :)
    I'd say give it another go!! I did my HL research + app the very last minute (I didn't even really know much about the firm and didn't attend any of their events), thought it was a weak one but got an AC. They're your fav firm so why not!
    Best luck!!🥰

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I enjoyed doing it but I didn't feel the result I got was very reflective of me. Will be interesting to see if I get progressed to the next stage. Does anyone know how long it takes after the Arctic Shores test?
    @littlecat I felt the same way but then realized that they'll never feel like they're reflective of you because they're not supposed to be. These tests produce results based on particular actions you take in specifically defined situations without being able to explain your rationale or go through your options in a team/with another person (which you probably would in real life). You just have to do your best to put yourself in a trainee's shoes (if that's what the questions ask) while taking them and then try to move on once you're done I guess 🤷‍♀️

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    nvm I'm over it just got an invite to the Macfarlanes Assessment Day can't believe it :D😭 emotional rollercoaster this evening lol
    @Emily K! Very happy for you!! 👏👏👏 Try to take some time to recuperate and process your evening-prioritise your self-care!

Please feel free to tag me in your posts here on the forum if you need any helping preparing for your assessment day- wishing you the very best! 😇

• Love
    Reactions: Emily K

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Don’t want to submit my travers app because don’t think it’s good enough and can’t bear a 3rd rejection from my fave firm :)
    When's the deadline? Have you used the application review service and is there anything in particular that you feel underconfident about?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    My Slaughters interview is tomorrow and I'm so anxious :oops:
    Hey! I completely understand- it's absolutely normal to feel anxious so please don't put any pressure on yourself to feel differently. Try to do things that calm you and will help you feel more positive about this experience (speak to friends/family, journal, watch a movie, go for a walk, dance it out-anything really). You've worked hard and you have 100% got this- just let the process do its thing now 💪

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    It was enjoyable but short - they only allowed for half an hour. There was also 6 people on the call. I tried to weave In my knowledge of the firm and enthusiasm as much as possible. How was your experience?
    That's great to hear. Exactly the same for me.

It was my first panel interview which took a bit of adjustment on my part. I found Vance charismatic and friendly. I particularly enjoyed speaking to Justin Williams too. They were pretty laser focused on finding out about my motivations for commercial law and Akin which made for a commercially-focused but very dynamic conversation!

I found it exciting (albeit this is little bit nerdy) being able to interview at the firm when CIGA had just been implemented given their strength in financial restructuring.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You’ll never get to your dream firm if you don’t apply to them. However, I get the anxiousness tied to your application, but I recommend looking it at from the other side. What if you were successful this time around?

But imagine the regret your could have for your career if you didn’t give it a go.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    My Slaughters interview is tomorrow and I'm so anxious :oops:
    Hi @ap_88,

As best you can, try to enjoy the experience. They will not try to be nasty or upset you, they really just want to find out where your limits are and how you react when you reach them (at least that is how my interviews felt!).

My biggest piece of advice is to be willing and able to back up anything you talk about. They are likely to pick you up on very minor details of the answers that you give. Again, this is not guaranteed, but in my two interviews there, I was pushed hard on what I said and was asked to back it up.

Also for the article, be confident in giving a succinct summary.

Points to raise to help with analysing it when you are reading it ahead of the interview:
    • What conclusion does the article come to? Do you agree?
    • Is the reasoning in it logical? What evidence does the author draw on? Could this be disputed?
    • Has the author made any jumps in logic?
    • Who is it written for? Does it have a
    • Who is it written by? Is it at all biased?
    • What are the 3/4 main points of the article?
    • Do you think the article is well written? If yes/no, why?
    I cannot stress enough, it is a huge achievement to be invited to interview at a firm like Slaughters. Make the most of it and try to give it your all. Ultimately you can only do your best though. Be yourself, try your best and see where that gets you! For now though, give yourself a break.

I really hope tomorrow goes your way @ap_88.

Please do let me know how it goes! 🚀

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Travers closes in a couple hours.
    If that's the case, @Law1099 send your application in if it's ready- give it a shot. The outcome is out of your hands but sending that application, banking on your efforts and putting yourself in the running absolutely is. You've got this and we're rooting for you 👏 👏👏

Reactions: Lian Lian and Rob93

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Quick question... for those who applied to Travers, does logging into your account let you basically see the entire unsubmitted application? I got an email confirming that my application was received but didn't expect to be able to see the whole thing again?

EDIT: Okay, so turns out it lets you start a new application for an opportunity you already submitted an application to- if you didn't get to download a copy of your application the first time seems like you can get one this way :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.