TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2021
Hi @ap_88,

As best you can, try to enjoy the experience. They will not try to be nasty or upset you, they really just want to find out where your limits are and how you react when you reach them (at least that is how my interviews felt!).

My biggest piece of advice is to be willing and able to back up anything you talk about. They are likely to pick you up on very minor details of the answers that you give. Again, this is not guaranteed, but in my two interviews there, I was pushed hard on what I said and was asked to back it up.

Also for the article, be confident in giving a succinct summary.

Points to raise to help with analysing it when you are reading it ahead of the interview:
  • What conclusion does the article come to? Do you agree?
  • Is the reasoning in it logical? What evidence does the author draw on? Could this be disputed?
  • Has the author made any jumps in logic?
  • Who is it written for? Does it have a
  • Who is it written by? Is it at all biased?
  • What are the 3/4 main points of the article?
  • Do you think the article is well written? If yes/no, why?
I cannot stress enough, it is a huge achievement to be invited to interview at a firm like Slaughters. Make the most of it and try to give it your all. Ultimately you can only do your best though. Be yourself, try your best and see where that gets you! For now though, give yourself a break.

I really hope tomorrow goes your way @ap_88.

Please do let me know how it goes! 🚀
Hi, I recently did the Slaughters interview. Overall I felt it went fairly well (not perfect but definitely not awful). However, I definitely didn’t experience this being pushed really hard and asked to back up my answers that you’ve mentioned. The questions were challenging and I did feel like I had to think a lot about my answers but I wasn’t asked to back up what I was saying much… do you think this is a bad sign?

Arche172372

Distinguished Member
Jan 7, 2022
That's great to hear. Exactly the same for me.

It was my first panel interview which took a bit of adjustment on my part. I found Vance charismatic and friendly. I particularly enjoyed speaking to Justin Williams too. They pretty laser focused on finding out about my motivations for commercial law and Akin which made for a commercially-focused but very dynamic conversation!

I found it pretty exciting (little bit nerdy) being able to interview at the firm when CIGA had just been implemented given their strength in financial restructuring.
Yeah I found it hard to judge how it went. I’m anxiously awaiting post interview decisions from Freshfields, MoFo, Akin and Davis Polk and the wait is just killing me!!!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2021
Yeah I found it hard to judge how it went. I’m anxiously awaiting post interview decisions from Freshfields, MoFo, Akin and Davis Polk and the wait is just killing me!!!
Hey did you recently do Freshfields AC? I’ve got mine on Thursday- it would be great to hear how you found it? (Not looking for questions or anything just wondering what your general experience was like)

Arche172372

Distinguished Member
Jan 7, 2022
Hey did you recently do Freshfields AC? I’ve got mine on Thursday- it would be great to hear how you found it? (Not looking for questions or anything just wondering what your general experience was like)
Hey! It was really enjoyable. Typical general competency interview and then one based on an article. Not overly stressful and mainly just wanting to get to know you.

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
Hey I recently secured a vac scheme with a firm that recruits solely through vac schemes. I'm an international student not studying in the UK and I had disclosed this in my application fully that I would need sponsorship. Now the grad tells me that I have to myself arrange for work rights for the 3 week scheme and they would not be sponsoring. What are my remedies? I'm p bummed and very disappointed. @Jessica Booker @AvniD @Jaysen

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Quick question... for those who applied to Travers, does logging into your account let you basically see the entire unsubmitted application? I got an email confirming that my application was received but didn't expect to be able to see the whole thing again?

EDIT: Okay, so turns out it lets you start a new application for an opportunity you already submitted an application to- if you didn't get to download a copy of your application the first time seems like you can get one this way :)
    Omg wait how does this work? I want to see my omg application for another firm but didn’t download it!

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Ah I didn’t know this and just submitted with
    775 words 😩
    I don't know how fussed they are about word count to be honest, mine was actually around 700 words last year and I got a VS. Point being, it's not really the length that's too important, it's obviously much more about the content. So if you're saying stuff of substance, having slightly more (or indeed fewer) words is not going to be the end of the world.

Last edited:

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Omg wait how does this work? I want to see my omg application for another firm but didn’t download it!
    I went to Travers' website, clicked the apply button, chose the summer vac scheme vacancy, and logged in. That redirected me to a new application containing all my info from the application I had submitted. I have to say though this isn't something that worked for other firms I applied to which use the same platform. Hope it works for you cause I know how stressful it is when you don't get to save it and can't check it like 100 times after submitting!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey I recently secured a vac scheme with a firm that recruits solely through vac schemes. I'm an international student not studying in the UK and I had disclosed this in my application fully that I would need sponsorship. Now the grad tells me that I have to myself arrange for work rights for the 3 week scheme and they would not be sponsoring. What are my remedies? I'm p bummed and very disappointed. @Jessica Booker @AvniD @Jaysen
    Unfortunately they cannot reject you just because you don’t have the right to work in the U.K., but at the same time they can’t employ without a visa either, so it becomes this very annoying situation for them too.

Which country is your home country? Feel free to PM me if it’s easier.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.