TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey I recently secured a vac scheme with a firm that recruits solely through vac schemes. I'm an international student not studying in the UK and I had disclosed this in my application fully that I would need sponsorship. Now the grad tells me that I have to myself arrange for work rights for the 3 week scheme and they would not be sponsoring. What are my remedies? I'm p bummed and very disappointed. @Jessica Booker @AvniD @Jaysen
I think Jessica is best placed to help with this but I have found some links online that may be of use to you- linking them here and here. Wishing you all the best- please do let me know how you get on! 🤞

Reactions: Vacationschemeapps

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
So I wrote I’m applying for the 2020 vacation scheme in my app instead of 2022. I wasn’t even copying and pasting anything, honestly god knows what was going on. I read over it loads of times too and just didn’t know the error. Ugh I hate myself. I mean I know they’re going to know what it meant but it looks like an oversight and it’s really annoying

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Hey! I completely understand- it's absolutely normal to feel anxious so please don't put any pressure on yourself to feel differently. Try to do things that calm you and will help you feel more positive about this experience (speak to friends/family, journal, watch a movie, go for a walk, dance it out-anything really). You've worked hard and you have 100% got this- just let the process do its thing now 💪
Hello ! Thanks so much for this it has made me feel a lot better 🥰

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Hi @ap_88,

As best you can, try to enjoy the experience. They will not try to be nasty or upset you, they really just want to find out where your limits are and how you react when you reach them (at least that is how my interviews felt!).

My biggest piece of advice is to be willing and able to back up anything you talk about. They are likely to pick you up on very minor details of the answers that you give. Again, this is not guaranteed, but in my two interviews there, I was pushed hard on what I said and was asked to back it up.

Also for the article, be confident in giving a succinct summary.

Points to raise to help with analysing it when you are reading it ahead of the interview:
  • What conclusion does the article come to? Do you agree?
  • Is the reasoning in it logical? What evidence does the author draw on? Could this be disputed?
  • Has the author made any jumps in logic?
  • Who is it written for? Does it have a
  • Who is it written by? Is it at all biased?
  • What are the 3/4 main points of the article?
  • Do you think the article is well written? If yes/no, why?
I cannot stress enough, it is a huge achievement to be invited to interview at a firm like Slaughters. Make the most of it and try to give it your all. Ultimately you can only do your best though. Be yourself, try your best and see where that gets you! For now though, give yourself a break.

I really hope tomorrow goes your way @ap_88.

Please do let me know how it goes! 🚀

Thank you so so much for this! It is going to help me immensely. Really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    So I wrote I’m applying for the 2020 vacation scheme in my app instead of 2022. I wasn’t even copying and pasting anything, honestly god knows what was going on. I read over it loads of times too and just didn’t know the error. Ugh I hate myself. I mean I know they’re going to know what it meant but it looks like an oversight and it’s really annoying
    It honestly depends on the firm. I’ve made mistakes such as “winter” instead of “spring” and been successful through the application stage.
    Hindsight is a useful tool but it’s also stressful. As my mum usually says : it’s done now there is no point stressing about it anymore :) just try to relax as much as you can. Applications are stressful as it is!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Lol I called CMS Bird & Bird last year and got to AC and again I managed to copy and paste the same work experience paragraph into two separate entries on this year’s CMS app and I have my AC tomorrow so honestly they’ll probably overlook it!

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hi @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs,

@FS has given you some fantastic advice here. I agree wholeheartedly with what they have said. As clichéd as it sounds, be yourself. You are not being called for interview by chance. They have chosen you for a reason. It is all the more impressive that you perhaps had to make up for average grades elsewhere in your application (I am unsure how SullCrom's process works so this might not apply).

Anyway! Going into interview, I would advise that you double-down on what you do offer rather than what you don't.

Your grades should not matter at this stage. From my experience, the best way to answer a "why did you get this grade?" question is to focus on the areas in which it inspired your personal development. How did you make a potentially difficult or disappointing result into something productive.

Congratulations for getting invited for interview at SullCrom. I have only met one future trainee from SullCrom and they really couldn't speak more highly about their experience at the firm. I really hope that you have the same experience tomorrow.

Please do let me know when you find out! Keen to hear how it goes!
    Thank you so much for your advice 😊 This has really calmed my nerves, I certainly hope the firm is as friendly as what I’ve heard as well! Will definitely update afterwards, fingers crossed 🤞

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    It honestly depends on the firm. I’ve made mistakes such as “winter” instead of “spring” and been successful through the application stage.
    Hindsight is a useful tool but it’s also stressful. As my mum usually says : it’s done now there is no point stressing about it anymore :) just try to relax as much as you can. Applications are stressful as it is!
    Thank you :) I have made it past before with typos but idk if it looks like I’ve done a copy & paste (although mentioned 2021 deals etc throughout). Very annoying!

• 🤝
    Reactions: GXA123 and AspiringTrainee

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, I recently did the Slaughters interview. Overall I felt it went fairly well (not perfect but definitely not awful). However, I definitely didn’t experience this being pushed really hard and asked to back up my answers that you’ve mentioned. The questions were challenging and I did feel like I had to think a lot about my answers but I wasn’t asked to back up what I was saying much… do you think this is a bad sign?
    Hi @Law2021vacschemer,

Apologies for worrying you! Absolutely not. This was just my experience. Absolutely not an indication of how it went for you!

Please do let me know when you find out!

Reactions: Law2021vacschemer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.