TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

When answering 'why this firm' in a VI, how much do people tend to change their answer from a typical, longer interview format? Only asking as in full interviews I typically enjoy a 3 point structure, in which I am unable to unpack each of the 3 points, link them back to myself, before circling it back around to why it's a key factor for my application. However, in attempting to fit it into 2 minutes for the VI format, I'm either cutting it down to solely 2 points that can be more stretched out, or not adhering to the typical structure for the third point, which risks it seeming a bit more of a rushed point I've squeezed in at the end. Would 2 points still be sufficient, or it worth making everything more concise to squeeze in a third, so that it reads like more of a varied list? Thanks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: username10341034
Hi everyone! I’d be really grateful for any insights from anyone who has completed the Jones Day second-stage interview with two partners this cycle (or recently): the questions asked, the structure, the experience, and any areas they focused on.

Happy to exchange insights from the assessments I’ve completed this cycle, including Freshfields Stage 2 VI, Macfarlanes Stage 2 VI, Latham VI, and the Dechert Stage 2 written exercise.

Please feel free to DM me!
 
When answering 'why this firm' in a VI, how much do people tend to change their answer from a typical, longer interview format? Only asking as in full interviews I typically enjoy a 3 point structure, in which I am unable to unpack each of the 3 points, link them back to myself, before circling it back around to why it's a key factor for my application. However, in attempting to fit it into 2 minutes for the VI format, I'm either cutting it down to solely 2 points that can be more stretched out, or not adhering to the typical structure for the third point, which risks it seeming a bit more of a rushed point I've squeezed in at the end. Would 2 points still be sufficient, or it worth making everything more concise to squeeze in a third, so that it reads like more of a varied list? Thanks!
I am struggling with this too! @Antoni Trochimowicz - please could you help?
 

Find member