TCs abroad

• Thread starter Deleted member 8341
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8341

Hi guys, final year non law student in the process of applying to Vac schemes and TCs. I have always been interested in living abroad, but only speak English and have no other links to other countries (did a study abroad in America I guess kind of relevant). Does anyone know what its like applying to, say, the Middle Eastern TCs of MC firms. Is it more or less competitive, do you need visas already etc. Is it a good career move? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, final year non law student in the process of applying to Vac schemes and TCs. I have always been interested in living abroad, but only speak English and have no other links to other countries (did a study abroad in America I guess kind of relevant). Does anyone know what its like applying to, say, the Middle Eastern TCs of MC firms. Is it more or less competitive, do you need visas already etc. Is it a good career move? Thanks in advance for any advice!

You'd need Arabic really for a Middle Eastern TC.

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Read the terms and conditions, but as Jessica said, most of the foreign TCs are for native/completely fluent Arabic/Mandarin speakers. Visas generally aren’t an issue because the firm will arrange them - your main problem is you don’t speak the required foreign language fluently.

It’s also worth noting that some of the TC programmes abroad make it very clear you will be qualifying as an NQ in THAT country - ie you can’t qualify as a Clifford Chance Dubai trainee and immediately transfer to London.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.