Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm currently taking some extremely needed time out at home. I applied for and was offered a couple of paralegal positions but ultimately decided to work in retail (even though it's not my favourite thing) because it's less hours and gives me the flexibility to really enjoy my down-time! I finally have time to read for fun again, go on runs twice a day and I've started increasing my fluency in Japanese again.

In terms of what candidates get bumped up first, I think it might be different for every firm but I know that for my firm they tend to take into account how long that person has been out of uni + if they have done the LPC and have waited quite a while for a TC, that kind of thing. Maybe @Jessica Booker can give you more insight though!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: A friendly human

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello

Was wondering how people on this forum filled the time between their TC and start date if they had at least 1 year free? Anything that pays enough money to cover rent for that year?

Was also wondering if anyone knew what sort of candidates get bumped up first if a spot opens? Is it people who have done the LPC? Older/more mature candidates? The best performers on the vac scheme or interview?

Thank You in advance :) :)

Usually just first come first served - most firms I know operated a waiting list and it completely depended on where you were on the list. I can only think of one instance where someone was bumped up the waiting list, and that was to defer their place rather than bring it forward, and that was due to personal circumstances more than anything else.

• ℹ️

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    I spent so long always trying to get 'valuable' work experience that would add to my TC application that I wanted to make sure I did something that is more suited to my interests or more flexible etc so I have more time to concentrate on hobbies once I got a TC and had the one year to fill. So currently I still work in the PE space but something a lot more relaxed as I know I won't get this time again once LPC/TC starts.

So I would recommend this kind of approach and perhaps brainstorming what you want to get out of the year so you can create some nonnegotiables for when looking for a job. My main thing is that I didn't want to be stressed this year at all when it came to work and only doing jobs I have a real interest in.

And it might be worth asking grad recruitment or letting them know you are open to start earlier if a space crops up - I did this just in case someone wants to defer to a later start date and they said they will keep me in mind.

• ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.