Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    MPs are currently voting on Brexit amendments. You can watch here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47037365

Amendments selected:

A (Jeremy Corbyn) would tell the government to allow time for a debate and vote on options to prevent a no-deal Brexit

O (Ian Blackford) requires the government to ask for Article 50 to be extended and demands Scotland not be taken out of the EU given it voted to Remain

G (Dominic Grieve) would give MPs six full days to debate and vote on alternative Brexit options

B (Yvette Cooper) would tell the government to allow time for a bid to postpone Brexit by nine months - if it has not managed to get a deal ratified in parliament by the end of February

J (Grieve, Benn, Rachel Reeves) tells the government to ask the EU to delay Brexit if no deal has been passed in parliament by the end of February but gives no specification of how long for

I (Spellman) - at end, add “and rejects the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship.”.

N (Brady) - requires the backstop plan to prevent a hard border reforming on the island of Ireland to be "replaced with alternative arrangements"

(List taken from here)

Reactions: Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    We're back with another Brexit vote this evening after Theresa May secured "legally binding" changes to her Brexit deal.

The vote will take place at about 7pm. I'll update this thread with the results.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Exactly! Kind've glad I'm in Argentina so I can avoid the chaos of it all haha

With a second referendum - where would we stand? Would it depend on the timing of it? I was trying to look up the potential process yesterday but didn't get very far. Would the EU have a say on allowing us to stay in if the vote was in favour of remain? I just genuinely don't know what the process might be (my UK politics A-level work is far behind me :D)

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    With a second referendum - where would we stand? Would it depend on the timing of it? I was trying to look up the potential process yesterday but didn't get very far. Would the EU have a say on allowing us to stay in if the vote was in favour of remain? I just genuinely don't know what the process might be (my UK politics A-level work is far behind me :D)

A bit of a shameless plug on my part, but you might find the earlier part of the discussion on this thread helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....xit-updates-news-and-resources.818/#post-5985.

Also, the UCL Constitution Unit has a nice compilation of blogposts on the mechanics of a second referendum: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/constitution-...ferendums/mechanics-further-referendum-brexit

Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Abstruser

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What do people think is likely to happen?

An extension of Article 50? A new deal? Boris Johnson swoops in and becomes leader?

Reactions: Dipen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    What do people think is likely to happen?

An extension of Article 50? A new deal? Boris Johnson swoops in and becomes leader?
    An extension of Article 50 for me seems the most likely and sensible way to move forwards - we need time to sort out this mess if we are ever in fact going to leave on reasonably good terms

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    At roughly 7:15pm, the first vote in the Commons will take place. MPs will vote on the Spelman amendment: whether there should be an amendment which rejects leaving the EU without a deal under any circumstances.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The Spelman amendment passed.

The second amendment, an alternative plan that would delay the exit from 29 March 2019 to 22 May 2019 was rejected.

The final vote has just taken place. MPs voted to rule out a no deal Brexit.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.