The value of Insight/Open Days?

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
There are some law firm Insight/Open Days I have been eyeing and it seems I won't be able to attend some of them when they take place as I won't be in the UK (I'm based internationally) over Easter. I was wondering if they hold any worth in Vacation Scheme or TC applications later? If they do, I can make arrangements to extend my stay in the UK over the Easter holiday.

Essentially, my question is whether HR considers applications with their firm's Insight/Open Day on the CV with more interest/attention during the review process?

Thank you in advance!

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @PlimptonWeld

I have undertaken a couple of insight and open days, and it is my view that they are somewhat important. In some cases, I have undertaken insight days at firms where Graduate Recruitment have specifically mentioned how the insight day would likely boost our chances of getting past the application stage for vacation schemes and TCs. I think if you have firms you deem to be your favourites/top priorities, an insight day is a fantastic way to highlight your motivation to apply to the firm from the outset to graduate recruitment.

An insight day/open day can also be an opportunity to indicate your interest in law to graduate recruitment. Through taking on an insight day, you are showing that you are proactively engaging with law firms (which can be beneficial in instances where candidates feel they would like to have more work experience on their CV). You can also sometimes learn more about the firms, their strategies and engage with their members, getting that 'personal feel' that you may not be able to get through online research. Attending an open day can also help further down the line at interview stage - you can discuss at interview your takeaways from the open day and how these may have incentivised you to apply to the firm. This can be a convincing way to show your in-depth engagement with the firm.

That said, I now hold a training contract at a firm where I did not attend their open days. I would therefore say that whilst an open day/insight day can be very useful and help your application stand out, it is not necessarily essential. Therefore, if it is difficult to extend your stay in the UK in Easter, rest assured that not undertaking an insight day/open day will not count against you at all.

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
Hi @PlimptonWeld

I have undertaken a couple of insight and open days, and it is my view that they are somewhat important. In some cases, I have undertaken insight days at firms where Graduate Recruitment have specifically mentioned how the insight day would likely boost our chances of getting past the application stage for vacation schemes and TCs. I think if you have firms you deem to be your favourites/top priorities, an insight day is a fantastic way to highlight your motivation to apply to the firm from the outset to graduate recruitment.

An insight day/open day can also be an opportunity to indicate your interest in law to graduate recruitment. Through taking on an insight day, you are showing that you are proactively engaging with law firms (which can be beneficial in instances where candidates feel they would like to have more work experience on their CV). You can also sometimes learn more about the firms, their strategies and engage with their members, getting that 'personal feel' that you may not be able to get through online research. Attending an open day can also help further down the line at interview stage - you can discuss at interview your takeaways from the open day and how these may have incentivised you to apply to the firm. This can be a convincing way to show your in-depth engagement with the firm.

That said, I now hold a training contract at a firm where I did not attend their open days. I would therefore say that whilst an open day/insight day can be very useful and help your application stand out, it is not necessarily essential. Therefore, if it is difficult to extend your stay in the UK in Easter, rest assured that not undertaking an insight day/open day will not count against you at all.
Wow, thank you so much! That is very relieving to hear.

Just an extra question, do you think law firms with smaller trainee intakes consider Insight/Open Day attendees more seriously?

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @PlimptonWeld - I think it would be difficult for me to comment on this generally as I guess it varies on a case-by-case basis the extent to which the firm places emphasis on the insight/open day.

However, if a firm has a smaller trainee intake, I would generally say that it might be worth highlighting as much as possible your commitment to, and engagement with, that firm. As such, if there is a firm with a smaller trainee intake that you particularly like, I would probably recommend attending the open day for that firm.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Hi @PlimptonWeld

Hi Natasha - (or anyone who wants to weigh in here)

I have been rejected for a few Open Days now, most recently Latham and Mishcon. This is pretty gutting, after all it's just an Open Day. I was sincerely interested in these firms, which I expressed after lengthy and sincere firm research. Should I take this as a sign the firm is not interested in me / my background or profile, and move on to other firms? (I am a mature career changer) Or stay the course and apply for the same firm's VC's?

Thank you for your help.

Slog4TC

Standard Member
Sep 13, 2023
Hi Natasha - (or anyone who wants to weigh in here)

I have been rejected for a few Open Days now, most recently Latham and Mishcon. This is pretty gutting, after all it's just an Open Day. I was sincerely interested in these firms, which I expressed after lengthy and sincere firm research. Should I take this as a sign the firm is not interested in me / my background or profile, and move on to other firms? (I am a mature career changer) Or stay the course and apply for the same firm's VC's?

Thank you for your help.
I was rejected by Mishcon for an open day today! Would appreciate some answers on this also

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Getting rejected for an open day is not necessarily an indication of what will happen with your vacation scheme application, especially if the selection processes are different.

Many firms will look at your profile and wonder if you will benefit from attending the open day. If you have lots of legal work experience or strong ties to the firm already, there maybe little sense in bringing you in for an open day when there are others who will benefit and build out their CV more by doing so.

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Getting rejected for an open day is not necessarily an indication of what will happen with your vacation scheme application, especially if the selection processes are different.

Many firms will look at your profile and wonder if you will benefit from attending the open day. If you have lots of legal work experience or strong ties to the firm already, there maybe little sense in bringing you in for an open day when there are others who will benefit and build out their CV more by doing so.
Oh my goodness this helps so much to hear. Thank you for weighing in, Jessica.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.