Thoughts about the BPP controversy?

Bpppgdlstudent

Mar 24, 2021
Hi all, does anyone have any advice for escalating a complaint within BPP? I’m on the PGDL, and long story short my tort summative was marked completely wrong. Had a meeting with my tort tutor and she confirmed that none of the feedback matches my script (eg they talk about a claim against the local council, I never mentioned the local council; say I should have mentioned cases that I did mention etc). She also said it was marked way too low and she would have given it at least 6% higher. But despite all this she’s now saying they’re not going to re-mark it because the long form wouldn’t change bands (even though my overall tort mark would change bands). It doesn’t seem to make sense for them to apply that policy in this case, where the original mark is not even my mark!
I’m slightly despairing because the whole institution seems like an impenetrable brick wall when it comes to complaints or concerns. Does anyone have any advice on how to escalate this, internally or externally?

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Staples

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hi all, does anyone have any advice for escalating a complaint within BPP? I’m on the PGDL, and long story short my tort summative was marked completely wrong. Had a meeting with my tort tutor and she confirmed that none of the feedback matches my script (eg they talk about a claim against the local council, I never mentioned the local council; say I should have mentioned cases that I did mention etc). She also said it was marked way too low and she would have given it at least 6% higher. But despite all this she’s now saying they’re not going to re-mark it because the long form wouldn’t change bands (even though my overall tort mark would change bands). It doesn’t seem to make sense for them to apply that policy in this case, where the original mark is not even my mark!
I’m slightly despairing because the whole institution seems like an impenetrable brick wall when it comes to complaints or concerns. Does anyone have any advice on how to escalate this, internally or externally?

Hi, I'm so sorry this happened! I know there is a formal complaints procedure on the VLE which you can look into, although I'm not sure how effective that would be. In the past when I have wanted to escalate things, I would bring up my concerns firstly with the Programme Leader. They may able to give you guidance on how to appeal the mark or give contact information for people in the department. In the email, I would emphasise the frustration and disappointment you have had with the program/module. If you feel as though you want to escalate it further, I would ask your Programme Leader for contact information for the Head of the PGDL program or even further, the Head of Law School. Hope this helps and good luck!

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
Sorry to hear this happened, not nice at all.

Keep persisting with the complaint and demand a resolution (politely of course) and if not definitely do take it further to OES. They take time but they do work (from personal experience).

Also make sure your tutor/supervisor is involved as well as head of the course as well as one of the individuals in the leadership team. The more you get people of influence involved, the quicker you will see the complaints department handle the query.

Gettingthere

Jun 14, 2021
Caveat emptor. I personally would not recommend self funding at BPP to study GDL or LPC. Everyone I know who self funded in the last couple of years describes their experience there as "very bad" (at best) to "appalling",with some choice profanities I cannot repeat here. There is a lot of anger: these including some straight-A students from top universities for whom I am a referee (so this info is from very credible sources). One can only speculate as to why this is, but I am sure some obvious explanations come your minds.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.