threats to law firms

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hi, i have a video interview and am preparing the question on threats to law firms

can anyone help me on the threat of covid-19? i was going to say the uncertainty in the market means less deals in the ECM, DCM, banking teams. but not sure if this is true anymore? thank you so much!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    As you said, if corporate clients are holding off deals in particular sectors as a result of the current uncertainty, it could lead to fewer deals in some of those areas or place a downward pressure on legal fees. That may be a challenge for firms who aren't well hedged in the current circumstances (e.g. because they lack practice areas that do well in times like this to offset less activity). I'd flag that COVID-19 will be a very popular answer to this question though. It doesn't necessarily mean you can't mention it, I'd just be very specific as to why it's a 'threat' to law firms.

If you want to mention the US-China trade war, you'd need to think about why that's a threat to the particular law firm now.

Reactions: Florawilliams

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.