Tips for first in-person vac scheme

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 10, 2021
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little insight. Last summer I had a virtual vac scheme and failed to convert. I've got a vac scheme with the same firm this year but I think the scheme is going ahead in person - do you have any tips for someone who's never done an in-person vac scheme and how to adapt from the virtual scheme?

Also any tips in general on how to prepare the "why law" answer? I think this is where I faltered last year because nerves got the best of me. I know I'm drawn to commercial law because of the cross jurisdictional, complex and team oriented work but would it be worth going into more detail about specific interests in practice areas? I think I failed last year because I got so hung up on trying to justify why I changed career paths.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, congrats on your VS! Crazy that they are going ahead with it in person! I'd recommend checking these threads out. I know they have a focus on virtual schemes but I think the advice is applicable in both contexts.

Some additional advice I do have for in person schemes:
    1. Be friendly, smile and greet everyone. Receptionists, secretaries, people holding the elevator for you.
    2. Most firms have a coffee area on each floor. Don't hesitate to make conversation with any associates or partners you see hanging around there. Good way to network and good way to get to know what other people are working on and if thats work you'd like to be involved in.
    3. Don't go around knocking on doors and asking for work. Shows you're not genuinely interested in the work you're asking for and just want anything to work on, plus it can end very badly if multiple people come back to you with work and you no longer have the capacity to do it.
    4. Don't have your phone out, anywhere, ever. Obvious advice I know but you'd be surprised how many people fumble on this (especially during talks or presentations)
    5. Don't look bored or distracted during talks that GR have organised. This can be especially hard to do in person but there's usually someone from GR observing these things at the back of the room, and every little thing counts towards being made or not being made the offer.
    6. If you have absolutely no work and are waiting for your associate to provide you with some, ask your trainee buddy for some contracts, documentation or anything on a case/deal they're working on. That way you always have something interesting to read or learn about and are never going to be seen doing nothing.
    7. Might only be applicable if your scheme is longer than a week but I would be cautious about getting caught up in groups/cliques that tend to form during vacs. Its fine to find a crowd you like better but mix around as much as possible. I think its important to show that you can fit in with anyone and everyone on the scheme (because the people the firm take in for a VS are often a very accurate reflection of what the firm values in it's actual lawyers anyway)
    On the why law answer, I would recommend including some clear tangible examples from work experience that link to those points you mention. During a conversion/exit interview, it would also be good to incorporate examples from the work you've completed/presentations during the scheme. It's really important to convey in every way possible what you enjoyed about the scheme and the work at the firm during that final interview. I go into some detail about this in the post below, so hopefully that helps as well.

Good luck with your VS! Fingers crossed for you! xx

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Hi, congrats on your VS! Crazy that they are going ahead with it in person! I'd recommend checking these threads out. I know they have a focus on virtual schemes but I think the advice is applicable in both contexts.

Some additional advice I do have for in person schemes:
    1. Be friendly, smile and greet everyone. Receptionists, secretaries, people holding the elevator for you.
    2. Most firms have a coffee area on each floor. Don't hesitate to make conversation with any associates or partners you see hanging around there. Good way to network and good way to get to know what other people are working on and if thats work you'd like to be involved in.
    3. Don't go around knocking on doors and asking for work. Shows you're not genuinely interested in the work you're asking for and just want anything to work on, plus it can end very badly if multiple people come back to you with work and you no longer have the capacity to do it.
    4. Don't have your phone out, anywhere, ever. Obvious advice I know but you'd be surprised how many people fumble on this (especially during talks or presentations)
    5. Don't look bored or distracted during talks that GR have organised. This can be especially hard to do in person but there's usually someone from GR observing these things at the back of the room, and every little thing counts towards being made or not being made the offer.
    6. If you have absolutely no work and are waiting for your associate to provide you with some, ask your trainee buddy for some contracts, documentation or anything on a case/deal they're working on. That way you always have something interesting to read or learn about and are never going to be seen doing nothing.
    7. Might only be applicable if your scheme is longer than a week but I would be cautious about getting caught up in groups/cliques that tend to form during vacs. Its fine to find a crowd you like better but mix around as much as possible. I think its important to show that you can fit in with anyone and everyone on the scheme (because the people the firm take in for a VS are often a very accurate reflection of what the firm values in it's actual lawyers anyway)
    On the why law answer, I would recommend including some clear tangible examples from work experience that link to those points you mention. During a conversion/exit interview, it would also be good to incorporate examples from the work you've completed/presentations during the scheme. It's really important to convey in every way possible what you enjoyed about the scheme and the work at the firm during that final interview. I go into some detail about this in the post below, so hopefully that helps as well.

Good luck with your VS! Fingers crossed for you! xx
    Thank you so much for this, so incredibly helpful!

Reactions: Dheepa

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.