Tips to boost university application

Aneeka

Apr 24, 2021
Hi I am a year 12 student currently studying a levels in Economics, Spanish and Psychology. I would like to study law in a Russel group university, does anyone who is a current law student or has been to law school have any tips for what super curricular activities I could be doing right now to boost up my personal statement. I am already doing the EPQ, I have joined some online courses and I am looking at summer schools and work experience opportunities I could join in the summer but could you give me some examples for what you guys put in your CV when applying to Russel group universities.

Thanks a lot!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t worry to much about what you do, just make sure you are doing something outside of your studies and that you write a good statement.

Extra curriculars - it generally doesn’t matter what you do, it’s more what you get out of it. You could do anything but it’s about showing you have taken on extra responsibility/pushed yourself/have managed your time with various commitments.

The key thing for the statement though is really showing your interest in the subject.

Asstragal1983

Jul 23, 2022
Different universities have different eligibility requirements. Find out what accomplishments are most valued by the university you consider applying to and try to get them. Many universities pay attention to how involved you are in volunteer work. I have always wanted to get a psychology degree, and next year, I will attend an institution that teaches psychology. I learned a lot of information about it and prepared all the necessary documents. Moreover, I often participated in international competitions to get more certificates.

Last edited:

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Hi I am a year 12 student currently studying a levels in Economics, Spanish and Psychology. I would like to study law in a Russel group university, does anyone who is a current law student or has been to law school have any tips for what super curricular activities I could be doing right now to boost up my personal statement. I am already doing the EPQ, I have joined some online courses and I am looking at summer schools and work experience opportunities I could join in the summer but could you give me some examples for what you guys put in your CV when applying to Russel group universities.

Thanks a lot!
Sounds like you're doing a lot of great stuff. Definitely focus on getting the best grades possible and try do hobbies/extra curricular stuff you genuinely enjoy!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.