Tired of Rejection

Emtee

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2020
Hi! I am tired of rejection, I just feel like everyone will have a training contract or a vac scheme but not me.. even the firms I want do not want about me.. i am an international student I secured a 2:1 from a non Russell group, I have no awards, no scholarship.. so I am not special at all

I am actually feeling so depressed and need advices

thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The unhelpful vote on the above is far more unhelpful than the post itself... we are a community that tries to support one another, I would encourage people to be more open minded to that.

Rejection is a tiring process. Many on here have felt like you at some point in their journey. For some that will mean deciding to choose a different path, for others it will mean that they take a break and refocus their efforts in time, for others it will be a turning point in which they eventually “see the light” and some how manage to turn things around and feel more positive about the situation.

This may be slightly disheartening, but remember most people are going to be unsuccessful in a recruitment process - you are not a minority. By default, not everyone can get the job.

My advice is to take a break from applying. Make sure you focus on you and your mental health first and ensure that is in a good place for you to then be able to proceed with future applications. Take some time out to enjoy the things you enjoy and to explore things away from applications to firms. Maybe with some time away from it, you can return with a fresh pair of eyes that may help you work out what to do next.

Emtee

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2020
Thank you Jessica I was just trying to find advice when we have no awards or interesting position of responsibilities

but thanks for the advice I will try to do so!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica I was just trying to find advice when we have no awards or interesting position of responsibilities

but thanks for the advice I will try to do so!

the recruitment process isn’t about awards. And also I suspect you are underplaying your positions of responsibility - I suspect you are assuming they aren’t interesting when they really are.

Reactions: Alison C and Daniel Boden

NMD

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Hey, the application process is definitely one that tests you and makes you feel like you aren’t good enough sometimes. So I can definitely sympathise with you regarding feeling low about it all.

Rejection is also something that is really gruelling to deal with so just take a couple of days away from apps to give yourself a break!

I’m also happy with the permission of @Jaysen and the team, to read over one of your apps to see if I can offer any advice if it’s the application stage you’re struggling with. I’ve received great help from people on here over the years and elsewhere, so I firmly believe in paying that forward!

I’m a future trainee now but I was definitely in the stick of it all not too long ago! You will get there. You don’t actually need loads of shiny things on your application, show a real interest in the firm and why you want to do law and that will be enough for a lot of places. Ways you could do that would be through online legal cheek events, contacting employees at the firm with tailored questions to network, doing online courses to improve your knowledge in particular areas etc!

Good luck with everything and well done for reaching out, so many people will see this and go “ah I’m glad someone else is in the same boat” :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey, the application process is definitely one that tests you and makes you feel like you aren’t good enough sometimes. So I can definitely sympathise with you regarding feeling low about it all.

Rejection is also something that is really gruelling to deal with so just take a couple of days away from apps to give yourself a break!

I’m also happy with the permission of @Jaysen and the team, to read over one of your apps to see if I can offer any advice if it’s the application stage you’re struggling with. I’ve received great help from people on here over the years and elsewhere, so I firmly believe in paying that forward!

I’m a future trainee now but I was definitely in the stick of it all not too long ago! You will get there. You don’t actually need loads of shiny things on your application, show a real interest in the firm and why you want to do law and that will be enough for a lot of places. Ways you could do that would be through online legal cheek events, contacting employees at the firm with tailored questions to network, doing online courses to improve your knowledge in particular areas etc!

Good luck with everything and well done for reaching out, so many people will see this and go “ah I’m glad someone else is in the same boat” :)

Of course, that's a very kind gesture :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I felt exactly the same a few days ago. Whenever I got through an app stage which was rare I would get rejected at a test stage or interview, it was so tiring. However these past few days I’ve really changed my mindset. Stop putting this enormous amount of pressure on yourself & stop putting applications as your #1 priority. Know that you have X amount of applications, try to get them done, but don’t stress about them. You’ll feel a lot happier as a result because you’re not constantly thinking about firms and applications & then you’ll be more inclined to get them done.
    This application process is probably one of the hardest things you’ll go through- it sounds dramatic but it really is a knock to your esteem. But don’t let it take over your life. You are an intelligent person with a bright future ahead of you, don’t lose sight of that

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    They say its always darkest before the dawn and in my experience it was definitely the case. I had reached the point right before I got my TC where I was tired of the rejection and thought I should take the hint that the career just isn't for me. However, as I was deciding if I wanted to give another cycle a shot, I finally took my own advice in regards to viewing rejection.

I realised that you're never just starting over. You're starting over with experience, which changes the game entirely.

To echo the above, don't understate your experiences. I didn't have any committee positions or start a business or win any academic awards, I think what made me 'special' (to use your words) was understanding my motivations for commercial law and the firm and therefore being able to articulate them convincingly.

Have faith in yourself, keep pushing, but take care of yourself above all else.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi! I am tired of rejection, I just feel like everyone will have a training contract or a vac scheme but not me.. even the firms I want do not want about me.. i am an international student I secured a 2:1 from a non Russell group, I have no awards, no scholarship.. so I am not special at all

thank you
    Being bilingual and living independently away from your home country, even in non-pandemic times would be courageous and noteworthy. This alone marks you out as exceptional. Many of us on here would never have been able to make a success of that at your age.

As you will notice when you consider it objectively, the lack of material awards on your CV does not equate to not being outstanding in some way. It just equates to not having a particular badge. I wonder if you can start a book club or a study group or an initiative to help future international students like the "you" of a few years back, which might enable you to feel more valued and to give back - there is no better way to feel special than when you have actually made a material difference.

Don't look for the badge, look for the difference you can make.

It's not all about securing a TC with a magic circle/silver circle/whatever colour circle firm. If you like the law and are prepared to work at it, then you will be good enough for someone to hire. You just need to keep honing your skills, reflecting and forgiving yourself for taking the time you need. Also, recognise that the market is especially slow just now and it's all too easy to feel down.

The only way to get those TCs and VSs is to apply. If you haven't watched the "from TCLA to TC" course here on the platform, I'd very much recommend it as a place to start thinking more deeply in a practical way. None of this comes overnight. But if you are working at being your best self then that is good enough, and the right employer will see that, if you tell your story well and are hungry to improve.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Being bilingual and living independently away from your home country, even in non-pandemic times would be courageous and noteworthy. Many of us on here would never have been able to make a success of that at your age.

As you will notice when you consider it objectively, the lack of material awards on your CV does not equate to not being outstanding in some way. It just equates to not having a particular badge. I wonder if you can start a book club or a study group or an initiative to help future international students like the "you" of a few years back, which might enable you to feel more valued and to give back - there is no better way to feel special than when you have actually made a material difference.

Don't look for the badge, look for the difference you can make.

It's not all about securing a TC with a magic circle/silver circle/whatever colour circle firm. If you like the law and are prepared to work at it, then you will be good enough for someone to hire. You just need to keep honing your skills, reflecting and forgiving yourself for taking the time you need. Also, recognise that the market is especially slow just now and it's all too easy to feel down.

The only way to get those TCs and VSs is to apply. If you haven't watched the "from TCLA to TC" course here on the platform, I'd very much recommend it as a place to start thinking more deeply in a practical way. None of this comes overnight. But if you are working at being your best self then that is good enough, and the right employer will see that, if you tell your story well and are hungry to improve.

Fantastic advice!

• 🏆
    Reactions: J32, Daniel Boden and Alison C

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019

thank you

Hi,

I totally see where you are coming from. I haven't got a TC yet either and I have felt exactly the same way you do. I'm also an international student from non RG uni as well. You are not alone... see my ongoing story below;

I've been trying to secure a TC since 2018 (and let me tell you, I have literally lost count of how many rejections I have received since 2018). At first, I took it as a personal failure and let it get me down so much so I at some point started to question whether this really is for me and whether "I am good enough".

Then, I started reading the success stories here on TCLA and really started looking at my experiences and skills and thought about how to properly "sell them" in my applications. In 2018, I never passed the first stage of the application process. In 2019, I finally passed my first WG test. In 2020, I got my first AC invite. It is true that I did gain experience in that time in between. However, what really changed was the way I wrote my applications. For that, I really can only thank TCLA and the application review team who helped me realise that indeed those experiences I do have, were "good enough" and most of the time it came down to how they were displayed on paper. Having said that, I totally empathise with you and it is normal to feel down and lose hope when receiving rejections after rejections. What used to get me down the most was the fact that I thought I had all the typical requirements most firms look for (note that I have awards actually, not one but two even) and trust me that also was not "enough" considering the amount of rejections I got. I could not help but wonder what the problem was.

The turning point for me was to really build that self belief and change my mindset. Instead of focusing on the sadness I felt after every rejection and believe those negative thoughts regarding my capabilities, I focused on how to genuinely become a stronger candidate.
    This helped me massively because one thing those rejection emails cannot take away from you is the fact that you know very well the effort and amount of time you put into becoming a better candidate. That way, every time the "After careful consideration......We regret to inform you" emails ticked in, slowly but surely they did not affect me the same way they used to. Instead of being upset for days (and therefore lose motivation and not finish my other TC applications), I started thinking "OK, they just lost a good candidate! Another firm will see me and recognise what I can offer!". It might sound a little arrogant but trust me it is not. It will help you build that confidence and no longer let those automated emails make you think you are not good enough.

Now, after 2 years, I still have not got the TC. But, with what I explained above, I am closer than I have ever been and most importantly, I believe in myself and so should you! It is a matter of time, practice, luck, hard work etc and as brutal as it is, we have to be our own cheerleader and pick ourselves up (if this is something we really want and is important to us).

I believe in you and have felt exactly the same way so if you ever want to chat please feel free to PM me. This forum has helped me so much and I hope it will do the same for you!! :)

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

thank you
    PS check out the current TCLA scholarship program. You apply, and if you win one it gives you access to all the amazing resources. And a badge! You'd have a scholarship, albeit maybe not a purely academic one. If you aren't awarded one, consider taking premium membership for a short time and really going for it. This won't get you a job, but it's all about planting seeds and letting them come to fruition, with a lot of TLC in between - and maybe some TCLA too.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,

I totally see where you are coming from. I haven't got a TC yet either and I have felt exactly the same way you do. I'm also an international student from non RG uni as well. You are not alone... see my ongoing story below;

I've been trying to secure a TC since 2018 (and let me tell you, I have literally lost count of how many rejections I have received since 2018). At first, I took it as a personal failure and let it get me down so much so I at some point started to question whether this really is for me and whether "I am good enough".

Then, I started reading the success stories here on TCLA and really started looking at my experiences and skills and thought about how to properly "sell them" in my applications. In 2018, I never passed the first stage of the application process. In 2019, I finally passed my first WG test. In 2020, I got my first AC invite. It is true that I did gain experience in that time in between. However, what really changed was the way I wrote my applications. For that, I really can only thank TCLA and the application review team who helped me realise that indeed those experiences I do have, were "good enough" and most of the time it came down to how they were displayed on paper. Having said that, I totally empathise with you and it is normal to feel down and lose hope when receiving rejections after rejections. What used to get me down the most was the fact that I thought I had all the typical requirements most firms look for (note that I have awards actually, not one but two even) and trust me that also was not "enough" considering the amount of rejections I got. I could not help but wonder what the problem was.

The turning point for me was to really build that self belief and change my mindset. Instead of focusing on the sadness I felt after every rejection and believe those negative thoughts regarding my capabilities, I focused on how to genuinely become a stronger candidate.
    This helped me massively because one thing those rejection emails cannot take away from you is the fact that you know very well the effort and amount of time you put into becoming a better candidate. That way, every time the "After careful consideration......We regret to inform you" emails ticked in, slowly but surely they did not affect me the same way they used to. Instead of being upset for days (and therefore lose motivation and not finish my other TC applications), I started thinking "OK, they just lost a good candidate! Another firm will see me and recognise what I can offer!". It might sound a little arrogant but trust me it is not. It will help you build that confidence and no longer let those automated emails make you think you are not good enough.

Now, after 2 years, I still have not got the TC. But, with what I explained above, I am closer than I have ever been and most importantly, I believe in myself and so should you! It is a matter of time, practice, luck, hard work etc and as brutal as it is, we have to be our own cheerleader and pick ourselves up (if this is something we really want and is important to us).

I believe in you and have felt exactly the same way so if you ever want to chat please feel free to PM me. This forum has helped me so much and I hope it will do the same for you!! :)

This is amazing. We're rooting for you to get that TC!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and E.A

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi,

What a brilliant post! This is why this community is so good :) All the best for 2021 and may that be the year you cross that final hurdle! We're all right behind you :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and E.A

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @E.A what an incredible post. I am a big believer that good things come to those who deserve it and I am absolutely rooting for you to get your TC.

I know I write about this a fair bit but my lowest low was this year in mid Feb having had three post-AC rejections from firms and still healing from my failure to convert my vac schemes from the year before. Within the space of two weeks, I interviewed at my favourite firm and got the call i was being offered a TC the next day. This process can move fast and it is what makes it such a rollercoaster (thrilling and scary, often in equal measure). I never ever would have thought when I was upset and in despair in that February that my luck would change so soon. Please stick with it and have faith - great things happen right when you least expect.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.