TLT assessment centre- questions about presentation exercise

njones95

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2022
I'm excited to say that I received an interview offer with TLT!

Part of the email which describes the structure of the AC says as follows:

"You will complete a 15 minute presentation assessment on a topic that is of interest to you. This does not have to be a legal topic, however it must link to legal implications or the legal sector. The purpose of this assessment is not to assess your public speaking skills, rather it will focus more on your ability to demonstrate independent thought, your commercial awareness of topics that aren’t necessarily legal, but have wider implications, and creative thinking. You are free to speak from notes and provide handouts for your assessors (there will not be more than two assessors) but will not have access to a laptop or projector."

I haven't done a presentation like this before. If anyone could answer my questions, that would be massively appreciated!

• How do you think they mean to test "creative thinking" through this exercise?
  • If I won't have access to a projector or a laptop, I guess this is just going to be me speaking from notes and without any other aids (but obviously trying to make it engaging)?
  • What would "handouts" constitute?
  • This seems to be suggesting that I should discuss a commercial topic which I am passionate about, that has relevance to the legal sector (or that has legal implications). I should probably discuss a topic that affects the legal sector, but is also independent of it. I should demonstrate an awareness of both implications to the legal sector and the wider commercial landscape. Does that sound like a roughly accurate interpretation to you?
Thanks for your time and help!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm excited to say that I received an interview offer with TLT!

Part of the email which describes the structure of the AC says as follows:

"You will complete a 15 minute presentation assessment on a topic that is of interest to you. This does not have to be a legal topic, however it must link to legal implications or the legal sector. The purpose of this assessment is not to assess your public speaking skills, rather it will focus more on your ability to demonstrate independent thought, your commercial awareness of topics that aren’t necessarily legal, but have wider implications, and creative thinking. You are free to speak from notes and provide handouts for your assessors (there will not be more than two assessors) but will not have access to a laptop or projector."

I haven't done a presentation like this before. If anyone could answer my questions, that would be massively appreciated!

• How do you think they mean to test "creative thinking" through this exercise?
  • If I won't have access to a projector or a laptop, I guess this is just going to be me speaking from notes and without any other aids (but obviously trying to make it engaging)?
  • What would "handouts" constitute?
  • This seems to be suggesting that I should discuss a commercial topic which I am passionate about, that has relevance to the legal sector (or that has legal implications). I should probably discuss a topic that affects the legal sector, but is also independent of it. I should demonstrate an awareness of both implications to the legal sector and the wider commercial landscape. Does that sound like a roughly accurate interpretation to you?
Thanks for your time and help!
Congratulations on securing an interview!
  • Creative thinking is about not just repeating what someone else's thinking - try to apply your own independent thinking to the topic
  • You could use other aids if you wanted to - they are just saying they won't provide you with a laptop and you won't have the facilitates to present via a projector if you brought your own
  • A handout could be any visual aid/summary of your topic that you want to give to your audience. It won't be a requirement (and sometimes can be a detriment if they detract from what you are presenting) but could help guide and engage your audience if used appropriately.
  • I'd agree with your description!

Reactions: njones95

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.