Trowers & Hamlins psychometric test/app questions

@k

Aug 1, 2020
Hi guys!

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on the vac scheme application process at Trowers & Hamlins before they open on 1st October. What I realised is that their website is not as detailed in explaining the different steps as some other international firms are. I was wondering if anyone who applied for a vac scheme/TC in the past year at T&H could tell me which aptitude test the firm uses and also what the questions on the application form usually are?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,
Kristof

@k

Aug 1, 2020
Hey,

Thank you both, that's really helpful, I can now practice! Also, do you know whether they recruit for vac schemes on a rolling basis? For the TC they wait until the deadline in January, but I haven't found any info on whether this is the case with the summer placement as well.

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
Hey,

Thank you both, that's really helpful, I can now practice! Also, do you know whether they recruit for vac schemes on a rolling basis? For the TC they wait until the deadline in January, but I haven't found any info on whether this is the case with the summer placement as well.
For me, last cycle they recruited non-rolling! so I applied in January for the Summer Vac scheme. Any questions just let me know as I accepted my Training Contract with them:)

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    For me, last cycle they recruited non-rolling! so I applied in January for the Summer Vac scheme. Any questions just let me know as I accepted my Training Contract with them:)

Congrats on your training contract offer!
    Would you mind if you can please run through the application process and how you found it please?
    Struggling to find much info on the website..

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Congrats on your training contract offer!
    Would you mind if you can please run through the application process and how you found it please?
    Struggling to find much info on the website..
    Thanks very much!! So I applied in Jan, heard back in March, this of course was delayed because of corona it would usually be earlier. I was then invited to an AC in March but this was postponed and made virtual, so I completed this in April. The AC consists of the McQuaig test, a written exercise and an interview with a partner! A few weeks later I heard back R.E vacation scheme. Hope this helps!

Reactions: @k

@k

Aug 1, 2020
    Thanks very much!! So I applied in Jan, heard back in March, this of course was delayed because of corona it would usually be earlier. I was then invited to an AC in March but this was postponed and made virtual, so I completed this in April. The AC consists of the McQuaig test, a written exercise and an interview with a partner! A few weeks later I heard back R.E vacation scheme. Hope this helps!

Congrats on the offer, that's a great achievement!

So just to clarify, the McQuaig test forms only part of the AC and does not have to be completed online with the application form? Also, could you just give us some insight into how the written exercise and the interview were structured and some tips on how to prepare for them in advance? Thank you so much for your help, I believe we all greatly appreciate it! :)

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Congrats on the offer, that's a great achievement!

So just to clarify, the McQuaig test forms only part of the AC and does not have to be completed online with the application form? Also, could you just give us some insight into how the written exercise and the interview were structured and some tips on how to prepare for them in advance? Thank you so much for your help, I believe we all greatly appreciate it! :)
    Thank you!
    Yes the McQuaig test is part of the AC. In terms of the written exercise, it is not legal at all, so that non-law candidates are not negatively impacted. It will basically include processing a large chunk of information in about 45 minutes and compiling a report of some sort on it. There is no prep you can do for it really, just remember to be concise! In terms of the interview, the first part is often why Trowers, why Commercial law etc. Then I was asked commercial awareness type questions, including legal tech. Finally, I was asked more competency-based questions. I hope this helps! Trowers is honestly a great firm, and everyone I have met is truly so lovely, and the interviewers do go above and beyond to make you feel at ease!

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hi,

I am struggling with the following question for the Trowers application:
    Describe a recent news article you've read and explain how it relates to us? 250 words

It seems fairly basic but I'm struggling to think of a recent news article that relates to the firm, I was thinking of something relating to social/residential housing and the new social housing white paper that has been released. However, I'm struggling to relate this back to the firm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and NadineBusty

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Hi,

I am struggling with the following question for the Trowers application:
    Describe a recent news article you've read and explain how it relates to us? 250 words

It seems fairly basic but I'm struggling to think of a recent news article that relates to the firm, I was thinking of something relating to social/residential housing and the new social housing white paper that has been released. However, I'm struggling to relate this back to the firm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey,

I think that's a great idea. Trowers are known for operating within what they call the 'real economy', with the lawyers often noting that they love seeing transactions or deals they have worked on appear in real life. For example, one of the associates I spoke to on the vac scheme said she worked on a transaction dealing with the building of hundreds of new schools, and she ended up sending her child to one of the schools! so it would be great to link the 'real economy' social/residential housing focus to trowers, and maybe suggest how it would be interesting to have the opportunity to work on both public and private sector work. Maybe look at some of the firm's most recent social housing matters. Hope this helps!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CF and OB

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hey,

I think that's a great idea. Trowers are known for operating within what they call the 'real economy', with the lawyers often noting that they love seeing transactions or deals they have worked on appear in real life. For example, one of the associates I spoke to on the vac scheme said she worked on a transaction dealing with the building of hundreds of new schools, and she ended up sending her child to one of the schools! so it would be great to link the 'real economy' social/residential housing focus to trowers, and maybe suggest how it would be interesting to have the opportunity to work on both public and private sector work. Maybe look at some of the firm's most recent social housing matters. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thank you so much, that's so helpful.

I attended an open day with Trowers in December and really liked the firm and am hoping to really nail the application so your advice is really appreciated!

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Hi,

Thank you so much, that's so helpful.

I attended an open day with Trowers in December and really liked the firm and am hoping to really nail the application so your advice is really appreciated!
    No problem at all! if you need any advice with the app or even the assessment centre do let me know! i'm a future trainee for trowers and always enjoy helping those applying because it is a great firm! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.