TW Question

PHT

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Finding this question from Taylor Wessing's application tough:

As a global top 20 law firm, we act for the biggest names in cutting edge industries. No matter your background, you'll find that our trainees – like our lawyers – are united by their focus, their commitment and their spark. What is the biggest challenge you will need to overcome upon entering the profession? (250 words max)*

Just wondering how people would approach this question and without almost shooting yourself in the foot.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Finding this question from Taylor Wessing's application tough:

As a global top 20 law firm, we act for the biggest names in cutting edge industries. No matter your background, you'll find that our trainees – like our lawyers – are united by their focus, their commitment and their spark. What is the biggest challenge you will need to overcome upon entering the profession? (250 words max)*

Just wondering how people would approach this question and without almost shooting yourself in the foot.

Tough question. Some thoughts:
    • Be genuine. It's pretty obvious when students say: "My biggest challenge is working too hard". Make sure it's an actual challenge; law firms want to get to know you and don't expect you to be perfect.
    • Make sure you answer the question. You may want to openly talk about the challenge/why it's a challenge in the legal profession before discussing how you might work on it.
    • Take some time to think about what you struggle with. Make it personal - do you have any experiences to share? Are there times when you've faced that challenge before?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JL

PHT

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2018
    Tough question. Some thoughts:
    • Be genuine. It's pretty obvious when students say: "My biggest challenge is working too hard". Make sure it's an actual challenge; law firms want to get to know you and don't expect you to be perfect.
    • Make sure you answer the question. You may want to openly talk about the challenge/why it's a challenge in the legal profession before discussing how you might work on it.
    • Take some time to think about what you struggle with. Make it personal - do you have any experiences to share? Are there times when you've faced that challenge before?

Thanks Jaysen. Would you think it'd be appropriate to say something along the lines of knowing when to ask for help instead of using my initiative to solve problems?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen. Would you think it'd be appropriate to say something along the lines of knowing when to ask for help instead of using my initiative to solve problems?
    Yep great one. Asking for help more often would definitely be one of mine.

Just make sure it's phrased as a genuine challenge (and not just a discussion of how you use your initiative).

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    1. I have spoken with graduate recruitment from a number of firms regarding this question for my own knowledge and not for an application. The answers I have always received is that trainees struggle with taking initiative on projects and understanding how their role/contributions fit into the bigger picture. If you can demonstrate this using a specific example, I think that would make you stand out.
    2. It is also useful to link this to an industry change, for instance, you could mention AI and discuss how as a trainee, you could be required to be comfortable in embracing new technology. TW is known for its tech expertise, so I would imagine than innovation/entrepreneurialism is an attribute to highlight here.
    3. You could also answer this by highlighting a mistake that you have made in the past and how you coped with it. It shows that you're honest, willing to take feedback and are always seeking to improve as an individual. All of these are great qualities to have as a trainee.

• 🏆
    Reactions: PHT

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.