Two Questions About Becoming a Paralegal

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
I was contacted by a recruiter who encouraged me to send my CV for paralegal roles at City firms. I have two lingering questions:

1. I would assume it is okay, but just to check: if you have secured a Training Contract from firm A, is it okay to work as a paralegal for firm B (contractual terms permitting) during the summer? I could use the money and experience.

2. Is it pompous to put 'Future Trainee at Firm A' on your CV when applying to paralegal roles?

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi Kola,

These answers are my personal opinions and how I would do it, so please take it with a pinch of salt.

1. It is perfectly fine to work for firm B during the summer, training contracts are independent of other jobs and there is nothing preventing you from working (anywhere) before you start the TC. The only issue, I think, could be the contractual terms in that there may be Post-termination obligations in your paralegal contract which prevent you from working with restricted clients for a certain period of time. I am not that familiar with how this works in practice, though.

2. I put future trainee on my CV as it also signals until when you are available.

Hope this helps at least a bit!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.