UCAS Tarriff calculation for international students - how to?

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hello! As an international student who studied high school + undergrad abroad (but LLM in London), I'm a bit confused about how to enter the 'UCAS tariff' and Baccalaureate total in the Apply4Law forms.

I know that some students find ways to calculate their UCAS total but I have no idea how to, plus no official document to back this up if needed - apart from my actual transcripts, which came in percentage form.

Would someone have any idea how to go about putting their high school and other grades on the application forms? Many thanks!

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hello! As an international student who studied high school + undergrad abroad (but LLM in London), I'm a bit confused about how to enter the 'UCAS tariff' and Baccalaureate total in the Apply4Law forms.

I know that some students find ways to calculate their UCAS total but I have no idea how to, plus no official document to back this up if needed - apart from my actual transcripts, which came in percentage form.

Would someone have any idea how to go about putting their high school and other grades on the application forms? Many thanks!
And a follow-up question: what is the difference between A-level and Secondary level (AS Level, Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers) subjects? Where I come from (India), we have only one qualification that is an A-level equivalent for secondary education. However, I notice on the Apply4Law forms there are 2 separate rows for separate entries. Could someone please help with where I should be entering my overseas qualifications? SO confused!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You can’t calculate UCAS points as international qualifications do not have a calculation. If it is an optional question I would leave it blank. If you have to complete it I would either put N/A or 0.

The U.K. is made up of different educational systems. We don’t have one - you can study either A-levels, or the International Baccalaureate. If you live in Scotland you do Scottish Highers instead.

You just need to include your high school grades are you know them. I wouldn’t try to convert them, as you can’t.

Reactions: AvniD and sdsou

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
You can’t calculate UCAS points as international qualifications do not have a calculation. If it is an optional question I would leave it blank. If you have to complete it I would either put N/A or 0.

The U.K. is made up of different educational systems. We don’t have one - you can study either A-levels, or the International Baccalaureate. If you live in Scotland you do Scottish Highers instead.

You just need to include your high school grades are you know them. I wouldn’t try to convert them, as you can’t.
Thank you Jessica!

One more question: The form asks for my University's grades in percentage form, and asks for the degree classification (1st, 2:1 etc). However, my undergrad degree grades were in GPA (out of 4) format. My grades would be equivalent to a 1st, but I don't have documentation for this. Should I select N/A where the form asks my degree classification since I studied outside the UK?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you Jessica!

One more question: The form asks for my University's grades in percentage form, and asks for the degree classification (1st, 2:1 etc). However, my undergrad degree grades were in GPA (out of 4) format. My grades would be equivalent to a 1st, but I don't have documentation for this. Should I select N/A where the form asks my degree classification since I studied outside the UK?
I think selecting N/A or 'other' if that is an option, and stating your grades as they appear on your original transcript is best!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.