UK student wanting vacation scheme elsewhere

Esporia

• Sep 9, 2021
    I'm a UK student and would like to work in Singapore or Dubai, which I know many firms have offices located at. Do I simply apply for vacation schemes in these locations and, if successful, this is where I would receive a training contract for? Are these more competitive than TC's in London?

Edit: Also, would I receive any additional financial support for flights? (Im sure this varies firm to firm, but generally speaking)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I'm a UK student and would like to work in Singapore or Dubai, which I know many firms have offices located at. Do I simply apply for vacation schemes in these locations and, if successful, this is where I would receive a training contract for? Are these more competitive than TC's in London?

Edit: Also, would I receive any additional financial support for flights? (Im sure this varies firm to firm, but generally speaking)
    I know of a few peers from university who landed TCs in the UAE and the process was similar to the UK- make an app, sit a few tests and interviews etc. You generally do receive financial support for flights but how much could vary firm to firm. Best thing to do imo is email firms about these technicalities, if no information is available about it on their website, before applying to them.

Reactions: Esporia and OB

Abonil

Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 45
    Jan 25, 2019
    Hi there,

I would say for Singapore vacation schemes, there are very few firms that offer a training contract. If I recall correctly, only three firms would provide you with an English TC - Latham & Watkins, Allen & Overy and Linklaters (Clifford Chance is structured differently if I'm not mistaken). The majority of the other international firms that operate in Singapore have an alliance with local firms in order to operate and only offer training contracts to candidates who are seeking to be Singapore law qualified.

The intake for these schemes is also a lot smaller - around 10 candidates or less for each scheme and the conversion rate is 50% or lower. The TC application process is similar to that of London. It may be less competitive to get onto the scheme by virtue of there being a lower volume of applicants, but I do not think that converting it into an actual training contract is any less competitive.

There will probably be financial support to sponsor your flight to do the scheme. But I am not entirely sure about accommodation.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Be mindful that working in some locations may not be possible if you are not a citizen of the country or currently living there (e.g. on a student visa). It is probably worthwhile checking basic eligibility requirements for such internships in these types of locations with the recruiter/hiring manager for the opportunity you spot.

It is exceptionally rare for you to do an internship in another office and then get a TC in London/the UK off the back of it. Recruitment processes can differ quite substantially between geographical locations. Therefore it is most likely that you'd just get a recommendation/reference to be considered for a London TC if you did complete a vacation scheme/internship in another jurisdiction.

Reactions: Abonil

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.