ULaw or BPP for LPC?

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    Hi guys,

I just got an offer from BPP and ULaw. I am a self-funding international student so I am a bit more lenient towards ULaw because they have offered the International Bursary which has made the course cheaper, whereas, I don't qualify for the BPP one due to my grades. I wanted to get a better understanding of the two providers before making a choice and was hoping someone can give me some insights specifically in relation to:
    1. From previous posts, I understand that BPP weren't the best during the pandemic but have they improved now?
    2. Prior to the pandemic, how did BPP and ULaw's teaching compare?
    3. In terms of the employability teams, do they provide personalised support or just conduct webinars?
    4. Both places state that a high number of their students get employed after graduation. I realise that this statistic isn't just about TCs but I just wanted to know if you feel that the provider's employability teams have actually helped make you a stronger candidate?
    5. Why do most firms pick BPP over ULaw as their provider?
    If you have any advice regarding the LPC, I would appreciate that too. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Reactions: Alison C

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    1. They haven't based on everything I've heard from friends currently enroled on the course.
    2. Fairly similar. Both are hot garbage more often than not. Tutors are hit or miss: some will be excellent, others won't care. They stick to very set lessons and powerpoints so there isn't much in the way of adapting the course to individual students or cohorts at either uni.
    3. Both will provide personalised support.....ish. You can schedule meetings with the employability teams, but in my experience (especially as an international), the employability teams rarely consider all of the relevant factors and more often than not just give fairly generic advice even when meeting one on one.
    4. The statistic is total horseshit and the answer is no. I got far more benefit from going to events open to anyone or at my alma mater, or through being proactive outside of formal uni schemes, or from just using TCLA.
    5. Because BPP cut them a better deal.

I would go with Ulaw because my general impression of them after doing the GDL there is better, the staff cares slightly more, and they didn't actively fuck over students during the pandemic. Plus its cheaper. Go to the Moorgate campus if you can though, as its bigger and generally has more resources than the Bloomsbury one.

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    1. They haven't based on everything I've heard from friends currently enroled on the course.
    2. Fairly similar. Both are hot garbage more often than not. Tutors are hit or miss: some will be excellent, others won't care. They stick to very set lessons and powerpoints so there isn't much in the way of adapting the course to individual students or cohorts at either uni.
    3. Both will provide personalised support.....ish. You can schedule meetings with the employability teams, but in my experience (especially as an international), the employability teams rarely consider all of the relevant factors and more often than not just give fairly generic advice even when meeting one on one.
    4. The statistic is total horseshit and the answer is no. I got far more benefit from going to events open to anyone or at my alma mater, or through being proactive outside of formal uni schemes, or from just using TCLA.
    5. Because BPP cut them a better deal.

I would go with Ulaw because my general impression of them after doing the GDL there is better, the staff cares slightly more, and they didn't actively fuck over students during the pandemic. Plus its cheaper. Go to the Moorgate campus if you can though, as its bigger and generally has more resources than the Bloomsbury one.
    These are great insights. Thank you so much!

• Love
    Reactions: whisperingrock

duophonic

Standard Member
    Apr 27, 2021
    Hi guys,

I just got an offer from BPP and ULaw. I am a self-funding international student so I am a bit more lenient towards ULaw because they have offered the International Bursary which has made the course cheaper, whereas, I don't qualify for the BPP one due to my grades. I wanted to get a better understanding of the two providers before making a choice and was hoping someone can give me some insights specifically in relation to:
    1. From previous posts, I understand that BPP weren't the best during the pandemic but have they improved now?
    2. Prior to the pandemic, how did BPP and ULaw's teaching compare?
    3. In terms of the employability teams, do they provide personalised support or just conduct webinars?
    4. Both places state that a high number of their students get employed after graduation. I realise that this statistic isn't just about TCs but I just wanted to know if you feel that the provider's employability teams have actually helped make you a stronger candidate?
    5. Why do most firms pick BPP over ULaw as their provider?
    If you have any advice regarding the LPC, I would appreciate that too. Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Hello M&M - current ULaw student doing the LPC, my thoughts as follows…

1. I’m aware from some of my LLB friends doing the LPC with BPP that flexibilities extended to ULaw students (such as some exams changed to open book) have not been mirrored by BPP.

2. I can only speak for ULaw teaching, and say it has been mixed. Some of the tutors have been the best I’ve ever had who have gone out of their way to be supportive, available, assist with questions and tailor the lessons a little more than the script. Others have been more rigid in their approach, don’t share office hours for queries, and only want contact via email.

3. My experience of the ULaw employability team has been generally positive.
    Booking an appointment can be rather hit and miss (sometimes none are available even when checking every few hours in a week), but the advice I have received has generally been good. I think they respond better with meetings focused around any documents sent in advance (such as a CV or application letter) than general discussions. They have also said they are happy to help with non-law applications for jobs.

4. Using the ULaw employability team has definitely made my applications stronger. I asked ULaw about this figure when I was researching LPC providers last year, the figure relates to every kind of job, not just % of students who secure TCs or paralegal positions.

5. Not sure, probably boils down to money!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I'm also really interested in this specifically for the LPC! I did the GDL at BPP it was a bit of a shambles I won't lie but I was lucky in that all my tutors were very helpful and knew the content well so teaching at least felt good.

I'm mostly intrigued by the open book exams at ULaw - are they permanently open book or just for the pandemic?

I don' think BPP offer open book for the LPC so thats one factor thats really swaying me atm as I feel both places, teaching wise and organisation wise will be hit or miss so any insight would be helpful!

Reactions: Alison C

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I'm also really interested in this specifically for the LPC! I did the GDL at BPP it was a bit of a shambles I won't lie but I was lucky in that all my tutors were very helpful and knew the content well so teaching at least felt good.

I'm mostly intrigued by the open book exams at ULaw - are they permanently open book or just for the pandemic?

I don' think BPP offer open book for the LPC so thats one factor thats really swaying me atm as I feel both places, teaching wise and organisation wise will be hit or miss so any insight would be helpful!
    ULaw is open book for the LPC even in non-pandemic times.

Reactions: Jooooopp7

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I'm at ULaw's LPC right now. Very professional set up. Obviously, paying all this money and not having in-person teaching has been inconvenient but I think they have tried their best with the take home exam software, which works and hasn't been terrible. I strongly rate the careers service, but as a word of warning, my experience in general with careers advisors is that you have to know exactly what you want before using them, otherwise they can't help you. So if you don't and are looking for general direction, you might find it a bit less useful.

When it comes to the teaching, although the subjects are fundamentally boring, I think it's fine and fairly to the point. The tutors I've had have been nice and do try their best - if you have any questions that weren't answered in the workshops you can email them and they will generally get back to you quite promptly. If you miss a class, there is the possibility of attending a different one on another day online either at your campus or any other the other campuses across the country.

However, the sheer quantity of information and paperwork does mean that you need to be very organised and I would recommend getting a crib book (like LPC Answered) which presents all the information you've already learnt/made notes on in a more visually appealing and simple format so you don't have to waste time making your own diagrams etc. Getting to grips with the paperwork is especially important at ULaw because the exams are currently all open book, and you can take in two lever arch files worth of notes + the core textbooks. Which in my opinion is extremely generous and should more than cover everything you need.

Reactions: LegalLily

LegalLily

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021

BPP do now do LPC open book

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.