US firm training

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
I've read that US firms often have less structured/ more on the job training, however would it be appropriate to describe the training programme like this when discussing motivations for the firm?

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Definitely! it's a big differentiator and a massive draw. I would just make sure to frame it in the right way. There's a good thread somewhere on here about Latham specifically, although I'm sure it applies to a lot of US firms, talking about how 'meritocratic' they are comparatively to MC firms e.g. their more on the job training means that trainees are given more responsibility and tend to be given the level of work that they have proved that they can handle. Whereas, in an MC firm it might be distributed according to your year group level. For the right kind of person, this can really accelerate technical learning in order to reach your long-term career goals and be a preferred method of working. Just some thoughts but hope it helps in some way

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've read that US firms often have less structured/ more on the job training, however would it be appropriate to describe the training programme like this when discussing motivations for the firm?

as long as you can explain the relevance to you rather than just stating something they already know.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I plan to reference my experience in my zero-hour contract jobs in which on the job training was standard.

but that is looking backwards - instead is try to look forwards. Why is this type of training going to be better for you going forward.

Reactions: Osh

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.