Vac Scheme with no work experience?

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
Hi guys,

In the midst of sending off more vac scheme applications as a second year law student.

I am just wondering what the realistic possibility of me landing one is considering I have only got a 3 day regional firm administrative work experience stint a couple of years ago and a couple of paper rounds under the work experience section...

I applied for a few insight days last year but I was not accepted, and spent last Summer studying at NUS on a university Summer School type programme.

Any advice on what my next steps should be? Or is this not fatal to my application.

My first year results from a Russell Group uni were all an okay 2:1, but not outstanding.

Thank you in advance!

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
Hi guys,

In the midst of sending off more vac scheme applications as a second year law student.

I am just wondering what the realistic possibility of me landing one is considering I have only got a 3 day regional firm administrative work experience stint a couple of years ago and a couple of paper rounds under the work experience section...

I applied for a few insight days last year but I was not accepted, and spent last Summer studying at NUS on a university Summer School type programme.

Any advice on what my next steps should be? Or is this not fatal to my application.

My first year results from a Russell Group uni were all an okay 2:1, but not outstanding.

Thank you in advance!

I think the best thing to do is to get involved in the pro bono initiatives at uni or the law society etc. I was a campus ambassador for Aspiring Solicitors which was really helpful but I wish I'd gotten more involved in the volunteering schemes at uni because they look v good on your applications!

Reactions: Joe Pagett

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi Joe,

I think its great that you have admin experience and would leverage that to show how it can relate to the position of a trainee (ie. managing multiple tasks, organisation etc.).

If you look online, you can get work experience (different from insight days) at law firms and I would recommend checking out smaller/regional ones for any opportunities available.

I would also leverage how any other volunteer/non-legal experiences are relevant to the position of a lawyer as lots of firms take on non-law students (with no legal experience). Furthermore, you can join clubs/law societies and explain how this has helped you to validate your legal interests. I would check out Aspiring Solicitors and the Bright Network for upcoming networking events as well :)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Joe Pagett

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
I do not think it is fatal to your application at all!

Have you attended any open days or networking events for instance, legal cheek?

Oh, really? I just thought, despite involvement in societies, a pretty bare work experience page would be rather off putting to firms?

Unfortunately the open day applications I submitted were unsuccessful but I have attended law fairs and a quite a few firm presentations on campus?

Not all of these include the firms I have applied to VAC schemes for though, especially US based firms.

Thanks for your help thus far :)

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
I think the best thing to do is to get involved in the pro bono initiatives at uni or the law society etc. I was a campus ambassador for Aspiring Solicitors which was really helpful but I wish I'd gotten more involved in the volunteering schemes at uni because they look v good on your applications!

I have participated in a teaching scheme in Pro Bono, winning an award for my input but the teaching was in primary school.. I didn't do it for the purpose of applications so I do not know if I can use it really?

I have participated in Mooting a fair bit, reaching a competition final, judging first years, being the Training Officer on the committee (holding presentations etc.) and on the external team.

This still leaves the work experience page quite bare, which they see first so I feel they would be at the very least be put on the back foot after seeing the section.

Which types of volunteering schemes at University count as 'work experience'?

Also, I appreciate all the advice but do you think that the lack of work experience will hinder my current vac scheme applications?

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
Hi Joe,

I think its great that you have admin experience and would leverage that to show how it can relate to the position of a trainee (ie. managing multiple tasks, organisation etc.).

If you look online, you can get work experience (different from insight days) at law firms and I would recommend checking out smaller/regional ones for any opportunities available.

I would also leverage how any other volunteer/non-legal experiences are relevant to the position of a lawyer as lots of firms take on non-law students (with no legal experience). Furthermore, you can join clubs/law societies and explain how this has helped you to validate your legal interests. I would check out Aspiring Solicitors and the Bright Network for upcoming networking events as well :)

Hope that helps!

Great advice! Thank you :)

Can volunteer experience be used on the work experience section of applications? As I did spend 2+ years volunteering at a charity shop before.

Do you think that I still might be able to get a vac scheme despite the lack of insight days or full time job in the past? It just looks quite empty.

Finally (apologies for going on), are paper rounds something valid that can be included?

Qy_

Premium Member
Sep 12, 2018
I don't think that's a problem, so long as you can articulate "why law" "why that firm", and show the work you have done to pursue this career (i.e. the regional firm work experience you've had). Also, regarding uni, I would say don't worry. I've seen plenty of RG uni students getting into top firms and plenty of Oxbridge students getting straight rejections. Best of luck :)

Reactions: v123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.