Vacation scheme questions

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
I have my Vac scheme on Monday and we’ve been given an itinerary and so I’m trying to think of some Questions to ask different people, such as the office’s managing partner who we have a talk with. I want to ask questions that can show off my knowledge but at the same time I don’t want to ask questions that area too overly specific? Does anyone have any advice for typical questions to ask?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I have my Vac scheme on Monday and we’ve been given an itinerary and so I’m trying to think of some Questions to ask different people, such as the office’s managing partner who we have a talk with. I want to ask questions that can show off my knowledge but at the same time I don’t want to ask questions that area too overly specific? Does anyone have any advice for typical questions to ask?
    I would always recommend asking questions that you genuinely want the answer to. Avoid trying to show of your knowledge explicitly - this can often come through subtly from the type of question you're asking and the words/phrases you are using.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d listen to what they say in the talk and then try to reflect the questions based on what they say.

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    I would always recommend asking questions that you genuinely want the answer to. Avoid trying to show of your knowledge explicitly - this can often come through subtly from the type of question you're asking and the words/phrases you are using.

I’d listen to what they say in the talk and then try to reflect the questions based on what they say.
    Thank you both!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey @ek125712,

This is a valid question as I had similar anxieties ahead of these sessions. I wholeheartedly agree with @Kubed's advice though - definitely lead with genuine interest over trying to impress. One thing that you could do is to have a look at their firm profile or LinkedIn and look ahead if anything genuinely catches your eye.

Sessions with extremely senior people can be stressful - not least because they will have run sessions like this numerous times in the past and are therefore likely to have answered/heard many, if not all, of the questions that are asked.

My advice would be to really listen to how they describe their journey and personal experiences. Asking them about their personal experience will give you an insight that you can't just read on the firm's website and may make them think a little, rather than inviting them to regurgitate an answer to a question that they have heard X number of times!

Please do reach out at any time before, during or after your scheme @ek125712! I will be running a webinar for Premium Members on vacation schemes over the coming weeks, so keep your eyes peeled 👀

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.