Watson Glaser assumptions question answer

John Stearman

Dec 22, 2020
Came across these in my practice and was a bit stuck! What would you say (two questions from same statement) from Watson Glaser Test?

Statement: "People should not expect the best medical attention rather than the mediocre if they are not willing to invest their own resources in paying for it."

Proposed assumptions:
1) People expect good quality medical support (made or not made??)

2) Some free medical services are not the best (made or not made??)

PP27

Distinguished Member
Oct 11, 2019
stuck on this too, i think first could be assumption made because the author is assuming that people do except the best medical attention? and then the second im leaning towards assumption made as well because it seems to be assumed that mediocre medical attention is free but honestly i have no clue

Reactions: Joelybob and AlRJ

Heaven

Standard Member
Nov 28, 2019
This is a late reply but I think:

Proposed assumptions:
1) People expect good quality medical support: Assumption made.
The passage is assuming that people expect the best medical care regardless of whether they pay for it or not & this proposed assumption is almost identical.

2) Some free medical services are not the best: Assumption not made.
It doesn't logically follow from the passage that some free medical care services are not the best. Even though this is probable, it is not assumable. Don't apply your general knowledge, focus on the facts.

s.k.o

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys,

Just struggling with a WG assumption question, please would love your opinions.

Statement: If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you logically"

Proposed Assumptions:

- Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion.

- What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking

I'll be grateful if anyone can share their thoughts on if assumptions are made or not

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi guys,

Proposed Assumptions:

- Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion.

I'll be grateful if anyone can share their thoughts on if assumptions are made or not

1. Made
    2. Not made

Reactions: Joelybob

GOI983

Esteemed Member
    Sep 15, 2021
    Hi guys,

Proposed Assumptions:

I would say both assumptions were made.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I would say both assumptions were made.
    The first one is definitely made but I guess the second one isn't. I have no reasons to back up my answers but the only logic that I have is that both look like correct options on the first scan and normally they wouldn't give questions this simple in practice tests. Maybe the part that says "will influence your thinking" is a bit vague because it is talking about influencing my thinking and that is too broad a claim unlike the first one that clearly says "about the matter under discussion". Please jump in as I'm really confused myself

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.