Watson Glaser Pass Mark

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Qy_, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nichol Yesuthasan

Nichol Yesuthasan Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi all, does anyone have a recommended website to use for purchasing watson glaser prep tests/material? I'm really struggling with finding a substantial source. Thanks!

2. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Jobtestprep is really helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Felicia

Felicia Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    I'm using jobtestprep. I'm finding it good so far and the large amount of tests and study guides available make it worth the money! - https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/ :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PMF_II

PMF_II Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Many members have suggested free resources elsewhere in the forum. Have you tried the practice tests on the websites of firms like Clifford Chance, Hogan Lovells and Linklaters?

For paid materials, I would recommend Assessment Day (I don’t have any affiliation with the company). I wasn’t aware of the free resources, so I bought Assessment Day’s verbal reasoning tests a while ago and found them very useful. I remember the annual subscription costs £11. You have accesss to 9 Watson Glaser style practice tests and a couple of tests from other partners.

What I like about Assessment Day’s tests is that you have the option to take each section of a test independently. For example, I did a full test and found out I was not good at drawing conclusions. I could then focus on practising this type of questions by selecting the “drawing conclusions” section of other tests. I also like the detailed explanations provided in the solutions.

I personally think doing a lot of practice tests doesn’t necessarily mean you will do well in the real test. Those tests are quite boring and repetitive, so overpracticing can be counterproductive as you find yourself having brain fatigue. What is more important is that you identify the common “tricks” and how to approach them.

Good luck!

#24 PMF_II, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. J Wu

J Wu Esteemed Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. phar

phar Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    I don’t really purchase tests as I found the free practice tests helped with passing the WG! As it does help you develop an approach when doing the WG. I practised using Assessment Day (both their free practice and the one available for my uni - check with your uni if they provide additional access!), JobPrep, and a free Pearsons WG pdf booklet - which explains the answers. Additionally there’s Clifford Chance, Hogan Lovells, and Linklaters.

I have also practised using the BCAT practice test (they use the WG for entry into the Bar). I found that some of the passages on this test has even appeared on some of my WG tests this cycle! The BCAT one doesn’t give a specific numerical score nor answers, and just tells you whether you pass etc. http://www.talentlens.co.uk/bcat-practice-test/

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nichol Yesuthasan

Nichol Yesuthasan Star Member

TCLA Credits:
  8. Amanda

Amanda Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Wow thank you so much! I wish I had looked at this sooner. Currently I have been using Job test Prep and Assessment Day but I didnt think to look at the Bar's examples! Hopefully the next time I do the test Ill get an even higher score !

9. binarythoughts

binarythoughts New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey! So I'm having a look at the thesis and I can't seem to find where the answers are. Any help?

10. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    They don’t tend to provide answers in practice tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gricole

gricole Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    NRF graduate recruitment confirmed at a presentation event today that their pass mark is 33% this year. Nevertheless, the higher you score, the higher chance you get for a telephone interview. They use the test score alongside the application to make a judgement. Bakers also have a bench mark but they declined to disclose it.

12. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    This won’t be highly accurate. The 33% is actually probably the 33rd percentile - these are two very different things.

The first means you can get two thirds of the questions wrong, the second means you have to perform in the top two thirds of applicants (or against the group you are being benchmarked by).

This is why you never really know your score - you will only ever know what you are benchmarked against and given a percentile ranking.

You could get 90% of the questions right and be under the 25th percentile, you could get 10% of questions right and be the 90th percentile or above. All depends on who you are being benchmarked against.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gricole

gricole Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yes, that is correct @Jessica Booker! Thank you for explaining the difference!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Arun Allen

Arun Allen New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi, I am going to go through the WG Qs in the thesis myself and work on the answers to them. Do you want to do it with me, and compare answers?
    Arun

15. Soliha

Soliha Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    I would like to compare as well