Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Welcome to the public feedback forum. This forum is for members to receive feedback on their draft applications from the community.

This forum is for you if:
    • You want help phrasing a sentence
    • You want to know if you're approaching a question correctly
    • You want advice on how to improve an answer
    • You want general feedback on your draft application
    • You want feedback on a draft before eventually sending it in to the TCLA team.
    Credit to @John Wu for suggesting this idea!

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
    Hi guys,

Would anyone mind giving me any tips on improving my 'why commercial law' answer?

I am conscious that at the moment I have taken the approach of describing what I have learned from experiences and from those trying to explain why I find commercial law appealing. Maybe I could take a slightly different approach for one of the paragraphs?

Any comments at all would be greatly welcomed! I have attached my answer as well as including it below:

"Why have you chosen a career in commercial law? 250 words 244

My interest in law was sparked whilst working for Spark44, Land Rover’s in-house marketing agency. During that time, I learned about the challenges facing Land Rover when aligning a ‘Best of British’ global campaign to the local advertising regulations in Beijing. I found it fascinating to understand the intersection between law and business as commercial solicitors help to provide certainty on some of the most technically and politically complex business issues, such as western businesses’ advertising rights in China.

At Elevate, I executed cross-border projects for a diverse set of legal clients to improve their operational efficiency and profitability. I learned that there are lots of different teams, such as real estate and IP, as well as project managers and pricing teams that contribute to corporate transactions being successfully delivered for clients. This is appealing because I believe the teamwork and organisation skills I developed as a consultant will be utilised in managing the corporate transactions, such as collating conditions precedent documents.

As a paralegal at BT, I have worked on multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes and AML investigations. I have found it interesting to understand that sometimes the best advice lawyers can give companies, such as BT, is how to avoid potential disputes through effective corporate governance and risk management. This involves understanding a company’s business structure, assessing the potential issues that may arise, and taking steps to protect against these. My interests lie in learning how global companies strategise, compete and solve cross-border issues."

Attachments

• Tom Lucas - Why have you chosen a career in commercial law.docx
      72 KB · Views: 21

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

Would anyone mind giving me any tips on improving my 'why commercial law' answer?

I am conscious that at the moment I have taken the approach of describing what I have learned from experiences and from those trying to explain why I find commercial law appealing. Maybe I could take a slightly different approach for one of the paragraphs?

Any comments at all would be greatly welcomed! I have attached my answer as well as including it below:

"Why have you chosen a career in commercial law? 250 words 244

My interest in law was sparked whilst working for Spark44, Land Rover’s in-house marketing agency. During that time, I learned about the challenges facing Land Rover when aligning a ‘Best of British’ global campaign to the local advertising regulations in Beijing. I found it fascinating to understand the intersection between law and business as commercial solicitors help to provide certainty on some of the most technically and politically complex business issues, such as western businesses’ advertising rights in China.

At Elevate, I executed cross-border projects for a diverse set of legal clients to improve their operational efficiency and profitability. I learned that there are lots of different teams, such as real estate and IP, as well as project managers and pricing teams that contribute to corporate transactions being successfully delivered for clients. This is appealing because I believe the teamwork and organisation skills I developed as a consultant will be utilised in managing the corporate transactions, such as collating conditions precedent documents.

As a paralegal at BT, I have worked on multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes and AML investigations. I have found it interesting to understand that sometimes the best advice lawyers can give companies, such as BT, is how to avoid potential disputes through effective corporate governance and risk management. This involves understanding a company’s business structure, assessing the potential issues that may arise, and taking steps to protect against these. My interests lie in learning how global companies strategise, compete and solve cross-border issues."

I think your approach is great. Well justified.

A couple of suggestions:
    • Paragraph 2: Consider expanding on your reasons for why working as a team was appealing. You've set up the point very well - talking about how you worked with a diverse set of clients - but could you say anything else about why this attracted you to commercial law beyond being able to utilise your skills?
    • Paragraph 3: In your second sentence, you say "I have found it interesting to understand [XYZ]". Consider expanding on why you found it interesting in your third sentence, rather than explaining what lawyers must understand.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Tom L

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Hi all :) reviving this thread!

Apologies in advance for this lengthy post but... I would be grateful for some input!!!

I am trying to answer the following on a TC application: “Our core values are integral to everything we do. Please provide us with examples of when you have demonstrated the following attributes: "We are innovative, creative and entrepreneurial."

I want to talk about the online exercise group I created during lockdown that was targeted at people in Cambridge, who were suffering from back problems, but also those who were struggling with mental health due to restrictions/no gyms being open. After each session, I encouraged people to talk about their day etc to boost morale. I also sent a free environmentally friendly protein bar etc each time a person joined (it was homemade/not expensive to make - I posted live videos on Instagram when I made them because of concern over hygiene as a result of the pandemic). More than 20 people joined and paid £1 each session.

I am worried as to whether this example is appropriate... I am starting to think it would be better to if I gave an example that highlights my intellectual ability???

I also wonder whether this example successfully covers creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. I’m mostly unsure as to whether it demonstrates the latter two. Whilst I know what they mean, I’m finding it hard to put it into context.

Thank you!!! :)

Reactions: Tushar

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.