Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn't include vacation schemes and legal work experience in an extracurricular section - you are forcing information in not relevant to the question and this could be perceived quite negatively. It also takes away from the evidence they are looking for.

The firm clearly doesn't care as much for work experience if there isn't a dedicated section so providing evidence of that elsewhere is less important.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
If they are asking for "extra-curricular and leisure activities," they are probably more interested in your hobbies/interests completely outside of academics and professional life. If you have a few hundred words to "describe" it, I'd treat it as an invitation to talk about your personal interests, like music, sports, or art, and any clubs or societies you joined at school and why you enjoyed them. So I probably wouldn't mention any vacation schemes or anything work experience-related, because they probably ask this to get a sense of your personality and who you are outside of your qualifications.

If you want to include your past vacation schemes somewhere, you probably can include it in a competency-based question if you're sure it really fits - but I would be sure to make sure your answer focuses on your skills and fully answers the question.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.