Which firms are harsh on academics?

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I just graduated from a London RG university with a mid-2.1 overall. I have a 2.2 in my final year so I am really concerned with how this will look in my application. Are there any firms notoriously harsh on grades that I should avoid? I understand academic results are not considered in isolation but I do hope to get some heads-up before starting to write applications.

I have done some searches on this forum and many mentioned US firms and MC firms. Are there any exceptions within these two groups? Any other firms that are harsh on academics?

Thanks!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    67% or higher.
    Hi @Romiras,

Thank you for your input here. How would you quantitively define a high 2.1?
    I've always taken a high 2:1 to mean above 65% so somewhere between 66-69. Just to add that if you have mitigating circumstances or other context that may explain a lower grade, then you have to take this into account too- don't let the high 2:1 requirement deter you from applying in such a case!

Reactions: Dwight

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.