Which firms should I apply to for a vac scheme?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi thank you so much for your response! It really gave me hope about my application. Personally I felt that the low 2.1 was deserving as I really slacked off during my first year. Should this be something I flag up during my interviews? As in that I am capable of so much more and that this year was an anomaly?

I don’t think this is appropriate to flag up. If anything it is a negative that you “slacked off”. Instead of talking about what you did, talk about what you will do to continue to raise your grades

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all,

I am looking to apply to city firms in the next application cycle for TC's/VS's and wondered where it might be best to apply? (MC, silver circle, national).

I have A*ABB at A-level and a 2:1 in Law (although my first year grades were lower), I have 1 years experience (ongoing) working at top 10 large international law firm as a paralegal alongside my part time LPC studies and have also completed a vac scheme at this firm. I have experience of an in-house vac scheme at a FTSE 100 company, various vac schemes at smaller regional firms, a political internship in Brussels, 1 week of experience shadowing a barrister and have attended various open days at global law firms. I also have retail experience.

I also have numerous EC's in sport and legal related volunteering.

Will my lower first year grades hold me back and is there any areas I could look to improve or build on? I ideally want to apply to large city firms!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am looking to apply to city firms in the next application cycle for TC's/VS's and wondered where it might be best to apply? (MC, silver circle, national).

I have A*ABB at A-level and a 2:1 in Law (although my first year grades were lower), I have 1 years experience (ongoing) working at top 10 large international law firm as a paralegal alongside my part time LPC studies and have also completed a vac scheme at this firm. I have experience of an in-house vac scheme at a FTSE 100 company, various vac schemes at smaller regional firms, a political internship in Brussels, 1 week of experience shadowing a barrister and have attended various open days at global law firms. I also have retail experience.

I also have numerous EC's in sport and legal related volunteering.

Will my lower first year grades hold me back and is there any areas I could look to improve or build on? I ideally want to apply to large city firms!

You’ve got to stop thinking about it in brackets/groups of MC, US, SC, Regional..... that’s your first and biggest mistake.

Sounds like you could apply to any of those, but depends on how “low” your first year grades are, and what modules your poorest results were in.

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
You’ve got to stop thinking about it in brackets/groups of MC, US, SC, Regional..... that’s your first and biggest mistake.

Sounds like you could apply to any of those, but depends on how “low” your first year grades are, and what modules your poorest results were in.

Thanks Jessica.

Yes of course, I am targeting firms based on specific aspects that appeal to me rather than the bracket they may fall in.

My grades in first year were a mixed bag of 2:2's, 2:1's and a 1st. However, my second year and third year grades hugely improved (allowing me to get that 2:1).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica.

Yes of course, I am targeting firms based on specific aspects that appeal to me rather than the bracket they may fall in.

My grades in first year were a mixed bag of 2:2's, 2:1's and a 1st. However, my second year and third year grades hugely improved (allowing me to get that 2:1).

Some firms can get sniffy at certain modules. If your 2.2s are in things like Contract or Tort (sometimes Land) then this might be an issue to some within these brackets.

But I have known some fairly mediocre regional firms be more picky on these things than larger brand names.

Like many people, my advice is to speak to the firms directly and get their view on things.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and PSM

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.