Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Thought it might be helpful to keep a list of applications that are open in this thread.

I found these posted from TSR (I still need to verify them):

Vacation Schemes
    Linklaters (Winter VS)
    Ashurst (Winter VS)
    Jones Day (Winter & Summer VS)
    Kennedys (Winter VS)
    Shearman & Sterling (Winter, Spring and Summer VS)
    BCLP (Summer VS)
    DLA Piper (Summer VS) - closing 31 December
    Hogan Lovells (all schemes)
    Herbert Smith (Winter VS)

Training Contracts
    Clifford Chance
    Herbert Smith Freehills (UAE & Hong Kong)
    Shearman and Sterling
    BCLP
    Hogan Lovells

Later Opening Dates
    Allen & Overy 1 October 2018 VS / TC
    Blake Morgan: 2 November 2018 VS / TC
    Burges Salmon: 1 October 2018 VS / TC
    Davis Polk 1 December VS 2018 (TC's recruited from VS)
    Hill Dickinson 1 November 2018
    K&L Gates 1 November 2018 VS / TC
    Osborne Clarke 1 November 2018 VS / TC

Does anyone know of more? I can update the list as more firms open.

Last edited:

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi All,

Thought it might be helpful to keep a list of applications that are open in this thread.

I found these posted from TSR (I still need to verify them):

Vacation Schemes
    Linklaters (Winter VS)
    Ashurst (Winter VS)
    Jones Day (Winter & Summer VS)
    Kennedys (Winter VS)

Training Contracts
    Clifford Chance
    Herbert Smith Freehills (UAE & Hong Kong)

Does anyone know of more? I can update the list as more firms open.

Thanks Jaysen!

Just to add Shearman & Sterling are also opened for all positions (open days, vacation schemes and training contracts.)

Also, SS have helpfully put out a vacation scheme application week programme (this will be an interactive online session) where the team will discuss different elements of the vacation scheme application process, whether that would be understanding different practice areas, how to prepare for vacation scheme interviews and discussions with trainees/other representatives of the firm. I would urge everyone to register to see the full schedule. I believe it will be helpful to each and everyone one of us - whatever stage you're at.

Link to register because I like to make everyone's life easier ;)
    https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/va...medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=VAW#.W5F2vFVKjIV

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen!

Just to add Shearman & Sterling are also opened for all positions (open days, vacation schemes and training contracts.)

Also, SS have helpfully put out a vacation scheme application week programme (this will be an interactive online session) where the team will discuss different elements of the vacation scheme application process, whether that would be understanding different practice areas, how to prepare for vacation scheme interviews and discussions with trainees/other representatives of the firm. I would urge everyone to register to see the full schedule. I believe it will be helpful to each and everyone one of us - whatever stage you're at.

Link to register because I like to make everyone's life easier ;)
    https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/va...medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=VAW#.W5F2vFVKjIV

Thanks for sharing Selma, I will add it to the list!

The advice I've seen from Shearman & Sterling's graduate recruitment in the past has been fantastic. They've really invested in providing good legal careers advice, even for students not applying to their firm.

Reactions: PHT, Lawgirlxo and Salma

NAremu

Feb 26, 2018
    DLA Piper also opens tomorrow - 7th September. Sorry for the double posting I started going through them as this will be useful later down the line.

Not sure if it will help if I list when the applications will open for some firms?

Davis Polk 1 December VS 2018(TC's recruited from VS)
    Osborne Clarke 1 November 2018

Reactions: Salma and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    DLA Piper also opens tomorrow - 7th September. Sorry for the double posting I started going through them as this will be useful later down the line.

Not sure if it will help if I list when the applications will open for some firms?

Davis Polk 1 December VS 2018(TC's recruited from VS)
    Osborne Clarke 1 November 2018

That's great. I can add a list for upcoming dates.

I've tried DLA but the page doesn't seem to load. Will check back again later.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I went to the bright network festival today and spoke to Diana (JD recruitment manager) she said if anyone is considering to apply for the winter vacation scheme, the latest date she would advise to send in the application is the end of September/first week of October (the winter scheme is extremely popular).

She also mentioned that the spring vacation scheme is less competitive (presumably because exam season is commencing for uni students) but just FYI for those considering to apply to JD.

Thanks to Selma for the insider knowledge on Jones Day!

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I can, have you checked them now? The questions are sooo much more different to last year (nooooooo!!!!!).

Seems like they were delayed. Haha yes!! I think they’ve drastically changed their application process. E.g. Only recruiting TCs from VS.
    At least it seems applications will be read this year and not just filtered out

Reactions: P. Dybala

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    hogan Lovells is open for all schemes/TCs
    hsf is meant to be aswell for winter vac but it seems the app isn’t online.

Can anyone else see the hsf app??
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for this, I will add it to the list.

Anyone else - please let me know if you see other open applications!

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    The typical - 1. news story and why it interests you, 2. why HSF/skills you would bring to the role and 3. competency question.

The first question is an interesting one. It's not the usual, 'how can this commercial story relate to the firm and its clients', but instead - why does the commercial story interest 'you'.

Reactions: Salma

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Sooooo disheartening for the effort I’m putting in that HSF have upped the level of detail required in their application. Yet, it won’t even be read and automatically filtered out if I don’t pass the test.

Reactions: SameerS and Kazam

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.