White & Case Vacation Scheme Application Question

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)

Not so sure how to go about this question - I have attended some career events just don't know what to talk about specifically in this question. What are they looking for?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
When I applied last year I used this section to highlight both the range of events I attended and what I had learnt from each event, such as understanding the role of a commercial lawyer, the firm or more general commercial awareness etc.

Reactions: Dwight

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Be honest in what you have done, even better if you have attended any of W&C's events. As Oliver said, highlight what you learned from each one eg if it led you to applying to certain types of firms for X reasons etc. View it as a prequel/lead up to the 'why commercial' question.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)

Not so sure how to go about this question - I have attended some career events just don't know what to talk about specifically in this question. What are they looking for?
They’re not looking for anything in particular, they’re just looking for you to list what you have participated in. You don’t even need to offer details (I personally did say what I had learned where I attended an even with the firm I was applying to, but this wasn’t necessary)

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Thanks for all your responses guys!

For the following question,
Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements
which has no world limit, how much words should I aim for. My current answer is 550 - is that too much?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements
which has no world limit, how much words should I aim for. My current answer is 550 - is that too much?
I’d be careful not to repeat anything in your work experience section here.

550 is a bit of a lot I’d say. Most firms will give 250 words up to 300 for this question. Do you feel you need this word count to convey all your points? Or is it possible you’ve given a lot of information which could really be cut down? It is hard to advise on these things without knowing the ins and outs but my feeling is you could probably cut this down and it still have the same impact.

remember, being a good lawyer means being able to be concise in your words. HR do look out for this so this is just a general tip to everyone where word counts aren’t specified.

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020

I did three short paragraphs

As already mentioned, they are not looking for anything specific. I used this question to highlight the range of events, presentations, and open days I had attended. These were all at different firms.

I had only had direct contact with the firm at a law fair, so I mentioned why this had led me to apply very briefly.

I think my answer to this consisted of three very short paragraphs - maybe two sentences for each. As Alice said, it is important to be as concise as possible. This is applicable to all of their application questions.

Sophie111

Standard Member
Sep 2, 2020

I got a place on their first year insight scheme last year. It had the exact same question and my answer was 500 words. As part of the scheme, I had a call with grad rec and she said my answer was the perfect length. So my recommendation would be to not go over this. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.