Who do diversity schemes apply to?

Law_Grad1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
Hi all,

I'm trying to kick-start my TC/VS process again after recently finishing my LLM. I have never felt that I was part of any ethnic minority growing up, but when I moved to the UK I noticed that, at least in the legal profession, there are basically no prominent lawyers with a background similar to mine. I have often felt that I don't merit any diversity assistance, as I can't claim that I come from a lower socio-economic background - which many of these schemes apply to. I hope not this post does not come across as boastful, or pity-seeking, I am just looking for some honest advice on who is eligible for diversity support and who is not as I often receive conflicting answers due to my educational history.

Thanks in advance for any help that people can provide me with!! I hope to return the favor for someone else when I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Felicia

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi Karim, I'm unsure what you mean by support whether its monetary or mentorship etc. If mentorship, there are a number of initiatives around- Aspiring Solicitors, Law Collective, SEO London, Rare Recruitment, Urban Lawyers. I wouldn't automatically rule yourself out, so i suggest applying :)

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hi all,

I'm trying to kick-start my TC/VS process again after recently finishing my LLM. I have never felt that I was part of any ethnic minority growing up, but when I moved to the UK I noticed that, at least in the legal profession, there are basically no prominent lawyers with a background similar to mine. I am of Lebanese descent, born and raised in Cyprus, and as a Christian Arab I am already within a sizable minority in the Arab world. However, thanks to my parents' hard work and sacrifices, I was educated privately from elementary to high school level. As a result, I have often felt that I don't merit any diversity assistance, as I can't claim that I come from a lower socio-economic background - which many of these schemes apply to. I hope not this post does not come across as boastful, or pity-seeking, I am just looking for some honest advice on who is eligible for diversity support and who is not as I often receive conflicting answers due to my educational history.

Thanks in advance for any help that people can provide me with!! I hope to return the favor for someone else when I can.
You will usually be able to tell if you are applicable because different schemes have different criteria. For example, I think for SEO you have to meet at least 2 criteria such as ethnic minority, attended state-school, parents' income is below a certain level and/or parents didn't go to university. Just double check with whatever you're applying to.

Does anyone know if your membership for any of these diversity schemes terminates automatically after one application cycle? Any help is much appreciated!
I know for SEO, candidates automatically just qualify again the next year to continue receiving support but wouldn't hurt to ask directly if you're still unsure

• 🤝
Reactions: EZ_D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.