Why not a higher ranked university?

RolyPoly

Oct 14, 2018
Hi, just wondering how you guys would suggest answering "Why did you not attend a higher ranked university? (eg: Oxbridge)" during an interview?

My LLB is from Cardiff University but I suppose this question could still be asked even if I am from LSE etc. Truth be told, I didn't apply to Oxbridge because my A Levels grades did not meet the requirements. But telling this to the interviewer is probably not a wise choice?
(Source of rankings: QS rankings and Shanghai rankings)

I'm inclined to answer the following:
1) University rankings are not everything. Skills and extra-curricular activities play important roles too in determining someone's ability to perform at work.
  • Follow up: An interviewer who is from Oxbridge or another higher ranked university himself might not agree with my answer and thus have an unfavourable impression of me?
2) Financial reasons
  • Follow up: Various financial aids are available. Why didn't you apply?
    • This again boils down to academic results...
3) Cardiff Uni is pretty great and it's in the Russell Group.

Any thoughts on my approach and/or any suggestions? And how would you feel if you were asked this question?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi, just wondering how you guys would suggest answering "Why did you not attend a higher ranked university? (eg: Oxbridge)" during an interview?

My LLB is from Cardiff University but I suppose this question could still be asked even if I am from LSE etc. Truth be told, I didn't apply to Oxbridge because my A Levels grades did not meet the requirements. But telling this to the interviewer is probably not a wise choice?

1) University rankings are not everything. Skills and extra-curricular activities play important roles too in determining someone's ability to perform at work.
  • Follow up: An interviewer who is from Oxbridge or another higher ranked university himself might not agree with my answer and thus have an unfavourable impression of me?
2) Financial reasons

Any thoughts on my approach and/or any suggestions? And how would you feel if you were asked this question?

First of all - Do interviewers actually ask this? How sad. I do not think the choice of university should
impact your chances of obtaining a training contact at any firm at all. Don’t limit your choices because you feel like only ‘oxbridge students are allowed to apply’. Apply to every firm you’re interested in (provided your grades permit this).

I agree with everything you said above, just make your opinion very clear and be honest with your reasons.

Good luck!

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
I highly doubt you'd be asked such a question at an interview. It's a very very bizarre question! I'd be interested to know which firm this is?

It's definitely not Slaughters; they are big on grades but they won't ask you why you didn't go to Oxbridge unless your application indicates that you could've or should've went to Oxbridge.

In any case, if you're still willing to apply to such an elitist firm (whichever firm this is), the best answer you can give is to be brutally honest.

Perhaps you were unable to attend for academic reasons, financial reasons, location, or whatever your reason might be.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Agree this is a crazy question and really reflects badly on the firm/the interviewer.

Being honest is probably the best way to go with this I think. And just talking a bit about about why you enjoyed your uni. If you try to defend your choice, there’s a danger you may come across passive aggressive and get into an unnecessary debate.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

2) Financial reasons

Law firms are pretty careful not to ask questions like this these days but good analysis. If in theory this question was asked, as @Sandrou said, be honest. While this question is unlikely, you will get other unusual questions. By being honest, you don't need to worry about coming up with a convincing reason on the spot, which a partner will almost certainly see through anyway. There's also the fact that a partner may ask you a question just to see your character, especially with these types of questions where it's very obvious what the answer is (the reason for almost everyone will be grades).

All that said, being honest doesn't mean you can't sell yourself. So you could say you didn't because of your grades, and then go with 1) or explain that while you didn't get the best A level grades, you have since changed, worked hard and secured XYZ grade at university. On its own 1) wouldn't be answering the question, which is another thing you should be careful about for questions like these.

RolyPoly

Oct 14, 2018
    @Selma95 @Sandrou @AJ @Jaysen Sorry everyone I forgot to clarify that I wasn't asked this question! I came across the question "Why did you choose this university?" online and was thinking that it could be twisted to this question during interviews. Something similar to "Why this firm? Why not xxx firm?". I was probably thinking too much but I'm glad to know that they are highly unlikely to ask this.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! Really appreciate the encouragement and feedback :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.