Wills & Administration of Estate(Ulaw)

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
Apr 1, 2022
Hey everyone

Was just wondering about the marking of Wills regarding the questions since its MCQ.

The marks are out of 100, and are 20 questions. Which means every question has 5 marks.

I have a few thoughts,and if anyone could clarify, this would be appreciated

1) Some questions required working out(IHT, Income Tax, CGT) etc, yet others are merely one question of knowledge(for e.g, about the adeemed gifts etc). Surely we get marks for working out or no? Was wondering how Ulaw work this out.
2) I saw someone on this forum say they failed the Wills exam by 1 mark. Meaning, every mark counts rather than 5 per question. This confused me, as I assumed it would be 5 marks per question. Any clarity would be appreciated.

shannontongg

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    When I took this exam at ulaw, all the MCQs had equal weighting, regardless or whether calculations are involved. Do you have access to a specimen paper to check? It should state on the front whether the questions all carry equal weight. If they do, it shouldn’t make a difference whether each Q is worth one mark or five.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2019
    1) No - it's multiple choice - you merely put a little dash through the correct answer on a sheet of A4 paper (like you would mark a lottery ticket). The exams are then marked by a computer. While some questions are harder than others, each of the 20 questions is worth the same mark and you ONLY obtain the mark for selecting the correct answer.

Do the Specimen Paper, the Wills Prep and Consolidation tests and the 50 questions on Synap (via Elite). The exam is marked in the exact same way as these tests. I would also recommend taking a copy of these in with you (you can copy and paste the questions onto a word doc).

2) Maybe this person meant one question? I wouldnt read too much into it. Just read through all the questions ULaw have provided, know how to do a IHT calculation and make sure you have your folder organised and you'll be fine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With multiple choice questions, there can often be a scoring system of:

1) the right answer - positive score

2) one or two not quite right answers - neutral score of 0

3) the completely wrong answer - one that you should never get to - a negative score

That’s how you can get a score than sit between marks of something like 4 points per question.

They may also have weighted questions, where for instance the first 10 question are worth 1 point, while the final 20 questions are worth 4 points.

Reactions: naheed_ahmod

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2022
    1) No - it's multiple choice - you merely put a little dash through the correct answer on a sheet of A4 paper (like you would mark a lottery ticket). The exams are then marked by a computer. While some questions are harder than others, each of the 20 questions is worth the same mark and you ONLY obtain the mark for selecting the correct answer.

Do the Specimen Paper, the Wills Prep and Consolidation tests and the 50 questions on Synap (via Elite). The exam is marked in the exact same way as these tests. I would also recommend taking a copy of these in with you (you can copy and paste the questions onto a word doc).

2) Maybe this person meant one question? I wouldnt read too much into it. Just read through all the questions ULaw have provided, know how to do a IHT calculation and make sure you have your folder organised and you'll be fine.

Thank you to you both. I just want to ask, is there any negative marking for the accounts exam? (Not sure if I really need to create another thread as you both have been really helpful

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2022
    There was no negative marking in any LPC exams I sat. This was something the tutors repeated often!
    TYSM! I've heard from other people that for Soliciors Accounts, there is negative marking. I've emailed my tutor just to be confirmed, waiting for him to respond when the working week begins.

Thanks for all your help, hope your weekend went well

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    TYSM! I've heard from other people that for Soliciors Accounts, there is negative marking. I've emailed my tutor just to be confirmed, waiting for him to respond when the working week begins.

Thanks for all your help, hope your weekend went well
    Having just got the accounts result and done the exam in Jan I was told there is not negative marking and that mistakes are not carried over so you only lose the mark once.

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2022
    Having just got the accounts result and done the exam in Jan I was told there is not negative marking and that mistakes are not carried over so you only lose the mark once.
    So no negative marking? Meaning, lets say I get the structre of the ledgers(for e.g) correct, but perhaps I miscalculate. Would I only lose that mark(I say lose, what I mean to say is, never obtain it), rather than lose an extra mark?

Also is this for Ulaw

thansk so much, really reassuring.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2019
    So no negative marking? Meaning, lets say I get the structre of the ledgers(for e.g) correct, but perhaps I miscalculate. Would I only lose that mark(I say lose, what I mean to say is, never obtain it), rather than lose an extra mark?

Also is this for Ulaw

thansk so much, really reassuring.
    Yes - E.g. the ledger question is work 30 marks. So there are 30 marks you can obtain for getting all the different elements correct. If you get everything correct but you dont name an entry correctly, you fail to obtain that mark (let's say that would be worth 2 marks), you've now scored 28 marks on the ledger question.

FYI: I don't how much each element is worth on the ledger and I dont think you are told.

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2022
    Yes - E.g. the ledger question is work 30 marks. So there are 30 marks you can obtain for getting all the different elements correct. If you get everything correct but you dont name an entry correctly, you fail to obtain that mark (let's say that would be worth 2 marks), you've now scored 28 marks on the ledger question.

FYI: I don't how much each element is worth on the ledger and I dont think you are told.
    Thank you- the ledger questions are 36 for my campus/uni, but I see your point. Appreciate it.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Thank you- the ledger questions are 36 for my campus/uni, but I see your point. Appreciate it.
    Just to give you an example, I had a question where the firm has a policy of transferring any £ owed to the firm immediately after £ is entered into the client account. However, I didn't record the transaction as being transferred immediately but instead right at the end with fees/VAT. Obviously, this meant my subsequent numbers weren't in the right row/place as they should have been. I really thought this was going to cost me the whole question and possibly get very very low marks but I was just fine and got high 80s in the exam!

naheed_ahmod

Standard Member
    Apr 1, 2022
    Just to give you an example, I had a question where the firm has a policy of transferring any £ owed to the firm immediately after £ is entered into the client account. However, I didn't record the transaction as being transferred immediately but instead right at the end with fees/VAT. Obviously, this meant my subsequent numbers weren't in the right row/place as they should have been. I really thought this was going to cost me the whole question and possibly get very very low marks but I was just fine and got high 80s in the exam!
    Thank you- is this for the Sols acc exam at ULAW? Rlly reassuring! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.