Work Experience Sector

6Demetris

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
I have a question concerning the work experience sector in training contract application forms. When it says details, does that mean what I did while at the job or also the skills and competencies that I have developed from that. When the application is already asking in another section my key competencies the logical conclusion is that details does not include the skills gained. But what if the application does not ask about my competencies anywhere else. Is 'details' under the work experience sector the place to include them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a question concerning the work experience sector in training contract application forms. When it says details, does that mean what I did while at the job or also the skills and competencies that I have developed from that. When the application is already asking in another section my key competencies the logical conclusion is that details does not include the skills gained. But what if the application does not ask about my competencies anywhere else. Is 'details' under the work experience sector the place to include them?

You need to adapt it for each application depending on what other information you have to provide. Avoid any repetition.

The thing with work experience sections is too many people explain the self explanatory - remember the people reading your application have a certain level of intelligence that they can work out the self explanatory :D

The following examples are things to avoid:

• legal work exp “I had the opportunity to work with trainees, associates and partners”

-• bar work “I developed my customer service skills”

• call centre “I developed my communication skills”

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018

Couple of other points to consider:

- Can you tailor your work experience to the skills that particular firm is looking for. In other words how can you show whoever reads your application from your experience you already have experience of the skills required to be a trainee.
- Try and avoid listing everything out.
- Have you been clever with with 50/150/250/unlimited word count.

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
This is something I am overthinking also! I am finding it difficult to not repeat myself across various work experiences as there are only a number of skills so don't want to keep mentioning the same things for different jobs.

6Demetris

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
My main concern is that when it says details of work experience, my mind goes to describing what I did there and not what I have gained from it. If i start explaining the skills I have gained from my work experience on that particular section instead on the 'tell me your competencies' question, if there is one, then I feel like I am not following the instructions given. So you are suggesting that under the work experience section, I must include not only what I did but the competencies I have gained from that (being selective of course depending on the firm).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is something I am overthinking also! I am finding it difficult to not repeat myself across various work experiences as there are only a number of skills so don't want to keep mentioning the same things for different jobs.

I don’t think you have to list out skills unless the firm specifically advises you to do so

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My main concern is that when it says details of work experience, my mind goes to describing what I did there and not what I have gained from it. If i start explaining the skills I have gained from my work experience on that particular section instead on the 'tell me your competencies' question, if there is one, then I feel like I am not following the instructions given. So you are suggesting that under the work experience section, I must include not only what I did but the competencies I have gained from that (being selective of course depending on the firm).

Some details will be relevant to include.

But think about it this way - what were your key achievements in that role? What did YOU achieve that maybe the next person didn’t. What extra responsibilities did you take on? These are the type of details that are far more interesting to read

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.