Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I'm preparing for an AC and just wondering about the question tell me about yourself. Should I approach it as a bit of a story in terms of from school, to deciding to study law and then my current position? Or is it more about your hobbies/interests?
Think of it more as an elevator pitch than your story. What you talk about it completely up to you, but think about what are the three key things you’d want to interviewer to know about you and remember rather than trying to summarise everything about you (which they won’t remember). Also consider what information they have about you already.

Reactions: m2001

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Please see my auto response, and if your query does not relate to the things mentioned in the auto response, please post in the forums.
    Hi! I posted in the VS app thread yesterday but did not tag anyone (my mistake). In my message I added more details about the specific firm names and didn't want to seem like I was spamming the main VS forum or sounding ungrateful. I have edited the original post to tag you. Thanks for your prompt response.

1) I'd provide the GPA and your 1-100 module grades. Firms will know what a GPA is, so there isn't a need to explain this, especially if you are also providing your individual 1-100 module grade scores.

2) Yes, that is an appropriate approach to take as long as your explanation for the grading system is as concise as possible.
    Thank you for your reply, @Jessica Booker! Just to clarify - the grading scale of the GPA my University uses is not a generic 10 point scale. Also, as I mentioned, there is no space to provide the grading scale explanation. In light of this and as the application states "Provide all grades in percentage terms" and reads "0-100" above the text box, should I still mention the GPA? I could mention it as "GPA: X/Y" (X out of Y), in front of the marks obtained, albeit without any explanation.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your reply, @Jessica Booker! Just to clarify - the grading scale of the GPA my University uses is not a generic 10 point scale. Also, as I mentioned, there is no space to provide the grading scale explanation. In light of this and as the application states "Provide all grades in percentage terms" and reads "0-100" above the text box, should I still mention the GPA? I could mention it as "GPA: X/Y" (X out of Y), in front of the marks obtained, albeit without any explanation.

Thank you!

Thank you!
    is your GPA a standard maximum of 4.0? If so, this won’t need to be explained.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker is it okay when answering 'why the law firm' aspect of the cover letter to only discuss the culture and practice areas rather than a deal?
    Definitely. A deal is unlikely to add anything unless you can really tie it back to how the specifics of the deal align with your interests.

Reactions: Crystal86

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I posted in the VS app thread yesterday but did not tag anyone (my mistake). In my message I added more details about the specific firm names and didn't want to seem like I was spamming the main VS forum or sounding ungrateful. I have edited the original post to tag you. Thanks for your prompt response.
    Sorry, can you direct me to the post? The forums are so busy at the moment, I can’t find it.

EVjuji

Valued Member
    Nov 29, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker

I have a question regarding questions in Capp assessments where you have to drag a slider along a scale. Let's assume on the left of the scale is "completing your work on time" and on the right is "ensuring your work is free of errors". If I drag the slider entirely to the right, does that mean I am 100% completing my work on time and 0% ensuring my work is free of errors? What if I drag the slider to the middle? Does it mean I am both attributes 100% or 50/50?

Thank you very much!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I think
    Hello @Jessica Booker

I have a question regarding questions in Capp assessments where you have to drag a slider along a scale. Let's assume on the left of the scale is "completing your work on time" and on the right is "ensuring your work is free of errors". If I drag the slider entirely to the right, does that mean I am 100% completing my work on time and 0% ensuring my work is free of errors? What if I drag the slider to the middle? Does it mean I am both attributes 100% or 50/50?

Thank you very much!
    Hey. I think if you drag it to the extreme right, it shows that you prefer submitting work that is error-free even if it means missing the deadline. If you place it in the middle, it might mean that your preference is submitting error-free work that's got to go out in time, so here the deadline + the quality, both are imp and your work preference is a healthy mix of both.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, I was just trying to have a go but even I'm interested in hearing what Jess has to say.

EVjuji

Valued Member
    Nov 29, 2019
    I think

Hey. I think if you drag it to the extreme right, it shows that you prefer submitting work that is error-free even if it means missing the deadline. If you place it in the middle, it might mean that your preference is submitting error-free work that's got to go out in time, so here the deadline + the quality, both are imp and your work preference is a healthy mix of both.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, I was just trying to have a go but even I'm interested in hearing what Jess has to say.
    Thank you for this. This is also my understanding but wanted to have confirmed it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker

Thank you very much!
    It's ultimately asking which one is of most importance to you. Say you have 100 instances where you have to choose one or the other, which one would you naturally go for if you were the only one making the decision/influencing the factors.

If you went in the middle you are saying you are 50/50 (half the time you would go with errors/half the time you would go with missing the deadline) - otherwise everyone would just go halfway all the time to claim they are both.

is your GPA a standard maximum of 4.0? If so, this won’t need to be explained.
    No, the GPA isn't a standard maximum of 4.0 either. (Different Indian law schools follow different GPA scales, although I think a 4 point GPA isn't followed in India a lot). Considering this, and that there is no space to explain the grading scale, should I not mention the GPA to make it less complicated for Grad Rec? I do have the marks for each module out of 100 as the form requires and would include that, of course!

Thank you so much, @Jessica Booker! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No, the GPA isn't a standard maximum of 4.0 either. (Different Indian law schools follow different GPA scales, although I think a 4 point GPA isn't followed in India a lot). Considering this, and that there is no space to explain the grading scale, should I not mention the GPA to make it less complicated for Grad Rec? I do have the marks for each module out of 100 as the form requires and would include that, of course!

Thank you so much, @Jessica Booker! :)
    I'd just avoid the GPA then if you have a 1-100 scoring system and this is what the firm is asking for.

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker! Hope you are well.

When answering a question like "Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you?", should I try to align my interests with what the firm does?

I am really interested in how PE firms have been increasingly investing in North Sea oil & gas assets and I have been following the news regarding this topic for a year now, so I have a lot to talk about. However, the firm asking this question is not very active in the energy sector, but still very strong in PE. I was wondering whether I should try to be more strategic and choose a commercial issue from the area of life sciences or financial regulation as I don't want them to think that I copied this answer from another application.

Thanks a lot!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker! Hope you are well.

When answering a question like "Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you?", should I try to align my interests with what the firm does?

I am really interested in how PE firms have been increasingly investing in North Sea oil & gas assets and I have been following the news regarding this topic for a year now, so I have a lot to talk about. However, the firm asking this question is not very active in the energy sector, but still very strong in PE. I was wondering whether I should try to be more strategic and choose a commercial issue from the area of life sciences or financial regulation as I don't want them to think that I copied this answer from another application.

Thanks a lot!
    I think the interest in PE is enough here for there to be enough of an alignment for the firm. It is clearly something you are interested in and can talk about with interest/confidence, and so I think this is ok.

• Love
    Reactions: M991

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I think the interest in PE is enough here for there to be enough of an alignment for the firm. It is clearly something you are interested in and can talk about with interest/confidence, and so I think this is ok.
    Other than the fact that the firm might actually have a strong PE practice and other than citing this as a reason behind why the firm might be interested in the news story, I fail to go deeper with establishing a link between a news story and the firm. Could you please help me out with this?

I was also eyeing a story on PE to answer "What recent news story interests you" for a firm that has a strong PE practice, but I think it's not specific enough because several firms will have a strong PE practice. Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.