TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
some people mention that they were an offer holder of the schemes they never done but its up to you I guess
**Trigger warning - very strong opinion below**

Argue So What GIF by grown-ish

I personally find this really annoying and also somewhat pretentious (sorry those who do this ;) ). I find it a really toxic community culture trait born out of how competitive the market is and people constantly trying to show they are better than the next person. It doesn't serve any purpose but to inflate egos.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Has anybody been able to book their Reed Smith AC yet?
Based on those who have received it that haven’t been able to, I’m assuming Reed Smith is waiting to send the rest of the AC offers before they let candidates book the slots so that everyone has the same opportunity to book at the same time instead of some candidates who received the offer to book later and those who received the offers later to be stuck with the earliest AC dates and less time to prep.

h1

Esteemed Member
Oct 12, 2020
Oh okay. This is the same approach they did with the VI where Reed Smith did not send out the acc VIs out until way later even though they sent candidates a confirmation quite early that they passed the SJT as well as ppl receiving the confirmation that they passed the SJT a couple of weeks later.
So there’s hope guys xx
If they've only done Spring invites maybe they're waiting to have finished Summer too ? idk

edit: ah, just saw you wrote the same!

Anon3285

Standard Member
Sep 3, 2019
Based on those who have received it that haven’t been able to, I’m assuming Reed Smith is waiting to send the rest of the AC offers before they let candidates book the slots so that everyone has the same opportunity to book at the same time instead of some candidates who received the offer to book later and those who received the offers later to be stuck with the earliest AC dates and less time to prep.
This makes sense. However my concern is that we were asked to book today, and seeing as c.o.b has passed, it seems as if either something has gone wrong on their side, or I have misplaced an email...

Reactions: elizabeth_98

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    **Trigger warning - very strong opinion below**

Argue So What GIF by grown-ish

I personally find this really annoying and also somewhat pretentious (sorry those who do this ;) ). I find it a really toxic community culture trait born out of how competitive the market is and people constantly trying to show they are better than the next person. It doesn't serve any purpose but to inflate egos.
    I agree with you! But it’s also such a big achievement that I think should be celebrated someway.

Y-Gurl

Dec 2, 2021
    If the writing exercise at an AC is a letter, do you have to lay it out with addresses and date etc. ( properly formatted) or just write 'Dear XXXX' then the letter, then sign off either 'Yours Faithfully/Sincerely' (like you write a cover letter that is part of an application)? Writing a letter out properly would use up precious minutes in a timed exercise.
    Similarly if you have to write a memo as an exercise is part of the test that you format it properly?
    Got an AC coming up and keep fretting about this! Many Thanks in anticipation.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree with you! But it’s also such a big achievement that I think should be celebrated someway.
    I wonder if sports people put in their bios that they qualified for a tournament but then didn't bother going because they had another (better) competition to attend 🤣

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I wonder if sports people put in their bios that they qualified for a tournament but then didn't bother going because they had another (better) competition to attend 🤣
    At the end of the day, I think it’s just a way for people to feed their egos😂😂😂😂 the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen on LinkedIn is when I saw someone, under the work experience section, they officially wrote that they had applied to a firm and labelled it as ‘Firm Applier’😂😂😂😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    At the end of the day, I think it’s just a way for people to feed their egos😂😂😂😂 the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen on LinkedIn is when I saw someone, under the work experience section, they officially wrote that they had applied to a firm and labelled it as ‘Firm Applier’😂😂😂😂
    nope GIF

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I've also seen on Assessment Centre attendee on LinkedIn under work experience on more than one occasion... I get that it is an achievement considering the vast number of applicants but IMO it doesn't add anything of value to your profile

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I could have hundreds then

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've also seen on Assessment Centre attendee on LinkedIn under work experience on more than one occasion... I get that it is an achievement considering the vast number of applicants but IMO it doesn't add anything of value to your profile
    My concern with this is that it actually diminishes your real work experience. I'd much prefer to see someone's part-time job in a cinema than this on a LinkedIn profile...

Reactions: Adrian_S and John Travoni

ISABE11A

Dec 29, 2021
    Yep, that should be fine - Smart casual attire is a dress code that combines well-fitting, polished business wear with elements of casual attire.

[One tip that should help you with dress codes is to remember that sometimes it's better to overdress than underdress - mainly because overdressing can be easily remedied on the day (take off blazer/tie, change from heels to flats etc). Dressing too causal might be harder to deal with on the day...
    Thank you so much!!

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    This might be a stupid question but would law firms ask about the specifics of uni modules during interview? I encountered this question during an interview simulation w/ my university career service in my last cycle. I imagine this question would be quite unfair for non-law candidates but the career counsel said I should revisit my notes in case they ask. I'm doing law and my grades are pretty ok but if they ask this I'm pretty much dead cuz I forgot everything💀

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.