TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks for the response! Not sure if I can gauge the social cues in this telephone interview but im going to try not to elaborate on everything.
I'm sure you'll be fine- just really trust your instinct and try to do your best. You've got this 💪

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks! How would you say a firm can strengthen their ESG focus? And also what do you mean by partnerships? :)
Strengthening ESG focus could include building up your clientele in that area, creating practices and systems that are suited to ESG clients, creating ESG-specific resource guides etc. As for partnerships, firms could collaborate with organisations, initiatives, NGOs etc. to increase their awareness and show their commitment to enhancing their ESG focus.

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
has the application process of a firm (whether that be interactions with grad rec or issues with the process itself) put anyone off any firms? Also out of curiosity, what's everyone's top firm and why
Had this issue with a Bristol-based law firm. I found the grad rec team to be very dismissive + non-engaged which was made worse by a partner basically twiddling on his phone the entire time during the networking session 😅 Was a very helpful reminder of why open days + vac schemes are not just CV achievements but also really substantive opportunities to consider whether the firm is a right fit for the next decade or so of your life. Also going to add that I don't have a favourite firm because it is a recipe for heartbreak for sure 😂 I've narrowed down to a favourite firm each year and gotten rejected by them whilst getting acceptances at other firms so I guess the moral of the story is that your favourite firm should just be the one you end up working at 🤣

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Just got a video interview from Weil!

If anyone has done one before, I’d be grateful for advice. I was just hoping to know whether (1) we can re-record our answers to the questions? and (2) what I should do to prepare?

Yeezus, I feel like such a fraud - how did I go from being a classics major to applying for vac schemes at commercial law firms?

Last edited:

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone, I really need some advice - I have an AC on Tuesday but I am really really ill, I've been feeling off since Thursday but thought I would get better but it got a lot worse over the weekend. I've just woken up and can't even move my head without the room spinning. I feel really bad because it's such short notice for the firm but I just know that I won't perform my best on Tuesday. Any advice?

• 🤝
Reactions: A.Diane01, GXA123 and OB

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I’ve got a mock interview with AS on Monday, how did you find them?
    It was useful - I think any feedback you can get will help refine answers and alert you to things you might not have otherwise noticed is great. Also a good opportunity to practice answers before you get to the real thing. They do keep it quite open and let you practice what you think you need to, so I'd go into the call with this in mind.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi everyone, I really need some advice - I have an AC on Tuesday but I am really really ill, I've been feeling off since Thursday but thought I would get better but it got a lot worse over the weekend. I've just woken up and can't even move my head without the room spinning. I feel really bad because it's such short notice for the firm but I just know that I won't perform my best on Tuesday. Any advice?
    You poor thing, that’s awful! I hope you take the time to rest it off! I am in exactly the same boat. Tested positive for covid yesterday, feel dead! I’m planning on letting grad rec know just so they are aware. It’s likely they won’t be able to rearrange but worth letting them know beforehand so they can take it in consideration!

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Just got a video interview from Weil!

If anyone has done one before, I’d be grateful for advice. I was just hoping to know whether (1) we can re-record our answers to the questions? and (2) what I should do to prepare?

Yeezus, I feel like such a fraud - how did I go from being a classics major to applying for vac schemes at commercial law firms?
    Hi! You can’t re-record. If you prepare general motivational and commercial questions, you'll be fine. It’s 2 questions and is probably the most straightforward VI I’ve done. Make sure to be detailed but concise, the 90 seconds for speaking go by quick.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    I’d call them first thing Monday morning to let them know your situation. Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: George Maxwell and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone registered for Aspiring Solicitors' HeadStart into Vacation Schemes actually heard back? I registered my interest 2 weeks ago and heard nothing but it mentions places are given on a rolling basis!

Reactions: ZaraB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Call them first thing on Monday and ask whether it can be rescheduled.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.