TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi !! I would be applying for London - I am just so confused as to what they mean. Would it be say be a local community project ??
    Hi I started a thread for the WBD application question to discuss it

You can have a look at this thread and a discussion about some suggestions.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and selfcarequeenzzz1

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi !! I would be applying for London - I am just so confused as to what they mean. Would it be say be a local community project ??
    I think it’s purposefully broad and vague. I read it as a property development or construction/planning project that is or has happened recently. The Battersea Power Station development springs to mind.

I’d go about it like this: first, have a think about what interests you. This could be anything from your hobbies to particular law firm practice areas you’re interested in. Starting here is important as they want to know why it interests you - this is what helps you stand out from the crowd. ➡️ With an idea of what interests you, see what’s happening in London in connection to that. For example, maybe you’re interested in renewable energy, and there’s a construction project in London designed to install X amount of EV charging points by the end of 2022. ➡️ With an idea in mind, you can now explain why it interests you. Maybe you did a course on renewable energy and liked how it combined new technology and problem solving ➡️ then tie your question into how the firm can assist. I remember WBD has a strong energy sector focus, so there’s lots of knowledge they can support with on a project around clean energy. For example, construction, development, planning advice.

Hope this helps!

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    Hey everyone, bit of a unique question today - I have a CV based interview coming up and I wrote down that I run a small business. Could the law firm ask me questions like "what is your annual turnover, profit margins, how much you pay your employees/in tax" like really dragon den style questions to test my commercial awareness or are questions like these construed as inappropriate?

Beluga

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 31, 2021
    Hi everyone, I've just finished my cycle of applications and excited (and in disbelief) to say that I've been offered two Training Contracts and a vacation scheme this cycle. It's going to be a difficult decision, but one that I never thought I'd have to make.

This was my third cycle, and I was rejected from every firm I applied to last year at the application stage, but I can really say that TCLA was pivotal to my progress this year and I would like to thank every one of you, especially @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this platform and for all your help. I could truly never have done it without the materials and support. I'm usually a bit of a lurker in the forum, but I went through it a LOT (perhaps obsessively) and it would often help me calm down before an interview.

To those of you still in the heat of the cycle, I wish you all the best of luck! It's such a stressful process, but you're all such strong people and I believe in you.

P.S. What is the process for uploading interview / application experiences?

CC

Jan 20, 2019
    Hello! Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to prep for the Simmons & Simmons AC? This is my first virtual AC so I was also wondering whether you see / interact with any of the other applicants?
    Yes you will get to see other candidates when grad rec is giving out instructions. But there will be no substantial interaction/ group exercise, etc. Prepare examples for the competencies listed on the grad rec website and the typical why simmons, why law. Time is quite tight for both inbox exercise and case study - make sure finish the required tasks on time. Good luck!

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Hi everyone, I've just finished my cycle of applications and excited (and in disbelief) to say that I've been offered two Training Contracts and a vacation scheme this cycle. It's going to be a difficult decision, but one that I never thought I'd have to make.

This was my third cycle, and I was rejected from every firm I applied to last year at the application stage, but I can really say that TCLA was pivotal to my progress this year and I would like to thank every one of you, especially @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this platform and for all your help. I could truly never have done it without the materials and support. I'm usually a bit of a lurker in the forum, but I went through it a LOT (perhaps obsessively) and it would often help me calm down before an interview.

To those of you still in the heat of the cycle, I wish you all the best of luck! It's such a stressful process, but you're all such strong people and I believe in you.

P.S. What is the process for uploading interview / application experiences?
    Congratulations! Such an incredible start to your week!!

This message is also super encouraging so thank you! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Beluga
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.