TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    What is a good percentage for WG tests, I'm currently floating around 80% mark

Total Score: 80% Recognising Assumptions: 75% Evaluating Arguments: 75% Drawing Conclusions: 83%

however I see some people on here get around 90%+, do firms just judge yours against a benchmark at an AC or against the others in the AC?
    People saying they’re on 90% most likely means they’re in the 90th percentile of the comparison group the firm has used. For example I got 90th percentile for Linklaters with a score of 33/40 (~83%). I would say you have decent scores there to be getting quite high in the percentiles!

Reactions: sxw517

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Had this issue with a Bristol-based law firm. I found the grad rec team to be very dismissive + non-engaged which was made worse by a partner basically twiddling on his phone the entire time during the networking session 😅 Was a very helpful reminder of why open days + vac schemes are not just CV achievements but also really substantive opportunities to consider whether the firm is a right fit for the next decade or so of your life. Also going to add that I don't have a favourite firm because it is a recipe for heartbreak for sure 😂 I've narrowed down to a favourite firm each year and gotten rejected by them whilst getting acceptances at other firms so I guess the moral of the story is that your favourite firm should just be the one you end up working at 🤣
    @s10 this is one of the best posts I have ever seen on the forum- to realise that you choose a firm just as much as they choose you is no small feat, especially while going through the ups and downs of making applications. Kudos to you 👏 👏 👏

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone, I really need some advice - I have an AC on Tuesday but I am really really ill, I've been feeling off since Thursday but thought I would get better but it got a lot worse over the weekend. I've just woken up and can't even move my head without the room spinning. I feel really bad because it's such short notice for the firm but I just know that I won't perform my best on Tuesday. Any advice?
    I would focus on resting and recuperating for now. If you still feel ill Monday morning, email grad rec first thing explaining your situation and try to get them to shift your AC to a later date if at all possible.

If they are not able to shift your AC, keep resting and taking care of yourself and prepare as much as you can without straining yourself.

If you're still ill on the morning of the AC, then let grad rec and your interviewers know so that they can take this into account and give it the best shot you possibly can.

Hoping you get well soon and that things work in your favour 🤞

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all - might be a stupid question, but how detailed should your answers to "why law" and "why firm" be? Although my previous AC was successful, my answers to these two questions were seen as too vague in a mock interview with RARE so I'm really not confident (e.g., I gave an example of interning at a law firm doing legal research, found it interesting to analyse the economic, legal and political aspects of the particular industry and help clients who needed those information, but the mock interviewer said I needed to answer what is it about the actual work that interests me - I didn't get what this meant). Would appreciate if people could share how they articulate their answers!!
    I think different people view answers to these questions differently, and that's because they're not all looking for the same sets of information from them. You have to try and gauge the level of detail you've been asked to provide depending on the context in which you've been asked a question.

If someone simply asks you 'why law' without any prior discussion, then go into a good amount of detail, beginning with what first sparked your interest to how you developed this interest deeper. I would not go into specifics of these details (dates, background etc, challenges etc.) unless prompted further. If you've have had conversations around 'why law' or 'why this firm', then add detail as needed.

Having a solid structure ensures that you add an appropriate level of detail and that your answer flows well into any follow-up questions. I would have at least three well-developed points ready for questions like 'why law'/'why commercial law', 'why this firm' and 'why you'.

For why law, it could be something like what first interested you in law (an event, something you read, a conversation etc.) ➡️ the steps you took to develop your interest in law as a career (extracurriculars, academic initiatives, attending career events etc.) ➡️ why you think the law is well suited to your skills, experience and character traits (pick an example, analyse how it would help you as a layer and link it to a career in law)

For why this firm, you could try stating XYZ thing you liked about the firm ➡️ how you learnt about this (research, attending an event, speaking to someone from the firm etc.) ➡️ how you know this is important to you (link back to things you want for yourself in your training contract, your ambitions for your career etc.)

I hope this helps?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Being sick with covid and preparing for an AC is honestly the worst 🥲
    I am sure you are very well prepared and nerves will get you through the interview!

Depending on how sick you are, firms are supposed to offer accommodations or the opportunity to reschedule if you provide enough notice, although not all firms do this. Covid could be a reason that they do however, especially if it is due to be held in person!

Also, you may be concerned about sounding congested during a virtual interview - I would recommend not having any dairy products on the day of the interview as that can exacerbate this and I am also a personal fan of vaporub ointments as I think they're really effective at clearing congestion for several hours. Having a hot drink with you is also a good idea 😊

You could always mention it to your interviewers when they make small talk at the beginning of your interview so that they take it into account in the back of their mind when assessing your interview (assuming the interview is not in person)!

We are all here for you and I am sure you will ace it - good luck!

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
    I received an offer from a US firm but am still waiting on slaughter and may to reply post interview. Their email to me says if I receive another offer to call or email them and it provides the number to call - but every time I call this number it just rings out. Any idea what I should do? I’ve emailed too but they haven’t replied to that either

• 🏆
    Reactions: djqb

A.Diane01

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Hey @Jessica Booker

how are AC scored? I’ve been told that they shouldn’t be viewed as competitive as assessors are just looking to see if you meet a benchmark… or is it in fact that it is a competitive activity and you are judged against other people?

Last edited:

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I am sure you are very well prepared and nerves will get you through the interview!

Depending on how sick you are, firms are supposed to offer accommodations or the opportunity to reschedule if you provide enough notice, although not all firms do this. Covid could be a reason that they do however, especially if it is due to be held in person!

Also, you may be concerned about sounding congested during a virtual interview - I would recommend not having any dairy products on the day of the interview as that can exacerbate this and I am also a personal fan of vaporub ointments as I think they're really effective at clearing congestion for several hours. Having a hot drink with you is also a good idea 😊

You could always mention it to your interviewers when they make small talk at the beginning of your interview so that they take it into account in the back of their mind when assessing your interview (assuming the interview is not in person)!

We are all here for you and I am sure you will ace it - good luck!
    Thank you @AvniD and @James Carrabino ! My AC is tomorrow so I guess there really isn’t much I can do in way of preparation besides the things I’ve already done! I’ve woken up feeling a bit better so I am hoping the trend continues for tomorrow. I am a bit worried because it’s from 10-4 and I have been quite exhausted but fingers crossed I’ll be able to use the adrenaline to push my through! Ofc I feel like I’ve not been able to prepare as well as I would have hoped as I’ve been sick for the last 5 days but I have to just have faith in what I know 🙏🏼 I’ve already let graduate recruitment know that I tested positive but given the assessment centre is virtual I don’t think there is much they can do especially given that it involves a group exercise!

D

Deleted member 11671

I received an offer from a US firm but am still waiting on slaughter and may to reply post interview. Their email to me says if I receive another offer to call or email them and it provides the number to call - but every time I call this number it just rings out. Any idea what I should do? I’ve emailed too but they haven’t replied to that either
    It could be that they're working from home? Maybe you can reach out to the grad recruiter on LinkedIn and drop a message if you are not receiving a response. There could also be a main office number you could call and say that you would like to be re-routed to the grad recruitment team.

D

Deleted member 11671

Thank you @AvniD and @James Carrabino ! My AC is tomorrow so I guess there really isn’t much I can do in way of preparation besides the things I’ve already done! I’ve woken up feeling a bit better so I am hoping the trend continues for tomorrow. I am a bit worried because it’s from 10-4 and I have been quite exhausted but fingers crossed I’ll be able to use the adrenaline to push my through! Ofc I feel like I’ve not been able to prepare as well as I would have hoped as I’ve been sick for the last 5 days but I have to just have faith in what I know 🙏🏼 I’ve already let graduate recruitment know that I tested positive but given the assessment centre is virtual I don’t think there is much they can do especially given that it involves a group exercise!
    Hi there, I actually did my AC while having covid so I can understand how you must be feeling. I ensured that I was well-fed, took some paracetamol and had anything I might need - water, snacks - at hand while completing the different components. The group exercise will usually have 30-45 mins prep with 5-7 minutes of presentation. I switched off a bit after my group finished presenting because that was the only way I could conserve energy.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi there, I actually did my AC while having covid so I can understand how you must be feeling. I ensured that I was well-fed, took some paracetamol and had anything I might need - water, snacks - at hand while completing the different components. The group exercise will usually have 30-45 mins prep with 5-7 minutes of presentation. I switched off a bit after my group finished presenting because that was the only way I could conserve energy.
    Omg thank you for this! Makes me feel a bit better that someone else (I imagine lots of people) have gone through the same thing! I hope it all went well for you in the end :)

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
    I've called reception and they redirected me but the grad rec line just keeps ringing out :( I've left a message for them so fingers crossed they call me back...
    It could be that they're working from home? Maybe you can reach out to the grad recruiter on LinkedIn and drop a message if you are not receiving a response. There could also be a main office number you could call and say that you would like to be re-routed to the grad recruitment team.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    1) could be anything from fairly immediately or until the end of the summer recruitment window. It should be one question to ask each firm.

2) Some firms will give you four weeks to accept the offer, some may give you to mid September (in line with the code of best recruitment practice). It is completely up to you whether you want to renege your summer vacation schemes but it is something you can do if your preferred firm is one of the spring VS firms. You don’t have to renege and in most cases will be able to continue to complete the remaining schemes. A few firms have a clause in their VS contracts stating you cannot have accepted a TC elsewhere, but this is rare. As your employment with the TC firm does not start until the first day of your TC, there should not be any restrictions from your TC provider to complete VS elsewhere.

3) several options: 1) accept and then renege ; 2) decline the offer from the outset and take the risk you don’t secure another offer; 3) ask the firm whether the deadline of your TC offer can be extended until you complete your summer VS
    Thank you so much. As always, this is incredibly helpful.

GeorgieW

Dec 17, 2021
    has the application process of a firm (whether that be interactions with grad rec or issues with the process itself) put anyone off any firms? Also out of curiosity, what's everyone's top firm and why
    absolutely!
    i remember last year looking at ropes & gray's three proposals to partnership question and just closing the application page. like if you want to ask an idiot classicist who is 21 how to better run your firm you're clearly not the one for me. my first proposal would be ask an expert, honestly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Call switchboard and ask to speak to a named person in the graduate recruitment team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.