TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you @AvniD and @James Carrabino ! My AC is tomorrow so I guess there really isn’t much I can do in way of preparation besides the things I’ve already done! I’ve woken up feeling a bit better so I am hoping the trend continues for tomorrow. I am a bit worried because it’s from 10-4 and I have been quite exhausted but fingers crossed I’ll be able to use the adrenaline to push my through! Ofc I feel like I’ve not been able to prepare as well as I would have hoped as I’ve been sick for the last 5 days but I have to just have faith in what I know 🙏🏼 I’ve already let graduate recruitment know that I tested positive but given the assessment centre is virtual I don’t think there is much they can do especially given that it involves a group exercise!
They might be able to move you to another AC date (if you haven’t asked this already). They will prefer to assess you when you are well, as they can’t really account for how your illness may impact your performance.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    absolutely!
    i remember last year looking at ropes & gray's three proposals to partnership question and just closing the application page. like if you want to ask an idiot classicist who is 21 how to better run your firm you're clearly not the one for me. my first proposal would be ask an expert, honestly
    I think their questions is testing your commercial awareness and your knowledge of the firm about their research.

Reactions: Kubed and OB

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi there, I actually did my AC while having covid so I can understand how you must be feeling. I ensured that I was well-fed, took some paracetamol and had anything I might need - water, snacks - at hand while completing the different components. The group exercise will usually have 30-45 mins prep with 5-7 minutes of presentation. I switched off a bit after my group finished presenting because that was the only way I could conserve energy.
    Omg thank you for this! Makes me feel a bit better that someone else (I imagine lots of people) have gone through the same thing! I hope it all went well for you in the end :)
    Hey @thirdtimelucky,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell, but glad to hear you are doing a little better this morning.

To add to what @curious_cat said, I actually did the Akin Gump (virtual) vacation scheme with covid! Just try your absolute best and be kind to yourself. I felt completely exhausted and was honest with myself about my limits. In the end I was successful, so you can do this!

Please update us on how the AC goes this morning. Will be thinking of you 🙌

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    I was recently asked ‘why are you applying for this scheme’ in an interview straight after being asked ‘why the firm’. At the time I just answered what I hope to get out of the scheme, but I wasn’t asked about my motivations for commercial law throughout the rest of the interview. Now I’m wondering whether that question was trying to tease out my answer for why commercial law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was recently asked ‘why are you applying for this scheme’ in an interview straight after being asked ‘why the firm’. At the time I just answered what I hope to get out of the scheme, but I wasn’t asked about my motivations for commercial law throughout the rest of the interview. Now I’m wondering whether that question was trying to tease out my answer for why commercial law?
    I doubt it was - if it was for an insight programme/vacation scheme, then it’s often the case that firms care far less about your motivations as this will be assessed more during the programme itself

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Rejection from Slaughter & May. Applied on the deadline. Such a great start to my Monday 🎉
    Slaughters take rolling particularly seriously - I applied direct TC in autumn and over a month before the deadline they sent me an email basically telling me to hurry up because they were filling places (I submitted promptly thereafter, still got a PFO)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Adrian_S

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I was asked this in my TI and was a little thrown but just answered honestly and was successful!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Slaughters take rolling particularly seriously - I applied direct TC in autumn and over a month before the deadline they sent me an email basically telling me to hurry up because they were filling places (I submitted promptly thereafter, still got a PFO)
    Thanks @Rob93!

Also, are they basically one of those firms that you shouldn’t apply to again if they’ve rejected you previously?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.