TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimz

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2020
Has anyone not received the tests from Mayer Brown after submitting an application for a vs? I thought they were automatic but doesn't seem so
I still haven’t received the tests and I filled in the form on 26/01. Anyone in the same situation? @Jessica Booker do you recommend following up with graduate recruitment? Thank you

Reactions: Emily K and awd1998

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
I still haven’t received the tests and I filled in the form on 26/01. Anyone in the same situation? @Jessica Booker do you recommend following up with graduate recruitment? Thank you
I remember that it took one week for Mayer Brown to send me the test invite after submitting the application form. So if you are eligible you are likely to receive it soon!!

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    I think different people view answers to these questions differently, and that's because they're not all looking for the same sets of information from them. You have to try and gauge the level of detail you've been asked to provide depending on the context in which you've been asked a question.

If someone simply asks you 'why law' without any prior discussion, then go into a good amount of detail, beginning with what first sparked your interest to how you developed this interest deeper. I would not go into specifics of these details (dates, background etc, challenges etc.) unless prompted further. If you've have had conversations around 'why law' or 'why this firm', then add detail as needed.

Having a solid structure ensures that you add an appropriate level of detail and that your answer flows well into any follow-up questions. I would have at least three well-developed points ready for questions like 'why law'/'why commercial law', 'why this firm' and 'why you'.

For why law, it could be something like what first interested you in law (an event, something you read, a conversation etc.) ➡️ the steps you took to develop your interest in law as a career (extracurriculars, academic initiatives, attending career events etc.) ➡️ why you think the law is well suited to your skills, experience and character traits (pick an example, analyse how it would help you as a layer and link it to a career in law)

For why this firm, you could try stating XYZ thing you liked about the firm ➡️ how you learnt about this (research, attending an event, speaking to someone from the firm etc.) ➡️ how you know this is important to you (link back to things you want for yourself in your training contract, your ambitions for your career etc.)

I hope this helps?
    Thank you so much - this is very very helpful!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Forgot to post this earlier, but does anyone else find it soooo frustrating when you undertake so much research on a firm for video interviews, including the deals they’ve been involved in etc and showing off your greatest experiences etc and then when the questions come up, you forget / can’t incorporate them into your answer. I’m so frustrated with myself because I had so much knowledge and prepped prior, but just didn’t utilise this info or use my own experiences as much due to the nature of the questions! Any luck for success on this?

positive part is that I believe I came across confident, but I don’t know if my answers were strong enough!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.