TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
For anyone who’s done Weil’s video interview, did you have unlimited time to prepare before you recorded your individual response? I’m nervous to so much as open the link because I don’t feel ready 😭

Last edited:

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I got a direct TC with no vac schemes & no legal or non-legal work experience. im doing a vocational degree so I tried to highlight the skills and experiences i've gained from my course as well as my extra-curricular activities.
This is excellent. Thank you! I’m a late career changer and a foreign student, so it’s great to know that if I can just really highlight the previous skills and experiences I’ve gained, then that may well be enough :)

Last edited:

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
It varies a lot - if you're like 2 weeks before deadline you're ahead of a majority of candidates. A rule of thumb I've seen is to try to apply within the first 2/3 of the application window.

In a perfect world I would submit every application 6 weeks in advance of close, but that's essentially arbitrary and often not practicable if you are in work or study.

Different firms also approach rolling with different degrees of austerity - Slaughters will genuinely fill out its offers before the deadline, while others will only start progressing candidates a few weeks before close and will continue for several weeks after. Unfortunately there isn't a consolidated bit of guidance on this point and I think it would be very hard to make one, but it can probably be sussed out by trawling through old posts or asking about past experiences.
Really agree with this. This was the first app cycle where I was able to send in apps to firms within the first 1-2 weeks of opening. I found that wherever I was an early applicant, my application was forwarded to at least the next stage of the cycle, so highly recommend this!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @syw I am really glad that my post resonates with you :) Truthfully, I had a very similar experience in my own application process! Now in some ways I was also perhaps a strange candidate, although I would certainly not claim to be any more 'unique' than any other candidate on here! I applied to law firms whilst pursuing a master's degree in piano performance and having pursued my undergraduate degree in liberal arts in the United States. I had next to no work experience under my belt, let alone legal work experience and I did not fit into the familiar 2nd-year law/final year non-law categories.

I got to the final interview stage at six different firms and only one of those was a UK firm - that was the only one where I was unsuccessful. Now it could certainly be the case that US firms valued my US education, but I also got a sense that they liked the fact I had explored other things. I think that UK firms do an excellent job of hiring diverse candidates (in many ways more than US firms), but I would say that this diversity manifests itself slightly differently.

Each firm has their own approach and you start to realise that as you traverse the process :)
I strongly agree with you, I have attended various events and what I realised is that US firms really valued my background and maturity.
I believe that Americans in general value candidates who are not afraid to explore other things, while UK firms are more inclined to target young students. I do not know what's best, personally I know I want to become a litigator but also experience a bit of corporate, hence US firms are better for me.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
For anyone who’s done Weil’s video interview, did you have unlimited time to prepare before you recorded your individual response? I’m nervous to so much as open the link because I don’t feel ready 😭
Hi! From what I remember, you only have 60 seconds to prepare, and 90 seconds to answer. If you’ve prepared general motivational and firm-related questions, you’ll be fine! Best of luck!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Rob93, George Maxwell and Adrian_S

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
In an interview question of what deals is the firm currently working on how much detail are you expected to go into?
I’ve never been asked what deals they’re currently working on. Has anyone been asked this in the past?

If it helps, for an AC where I was asked a deal I’ve found interesting, I stated what the deal was, why I personally found it interesting and then talked about why I thought it was relevant (a wider trend in emerging markets, etc) & if there was something particularly impressive about it (e.g. how it was financed, the number of jurisdictions involved, awards it won, etc). For its relevance, I Googled the deal beforehand, to see articles written about it outside of a law firm website/context. I don’t know if this is the right approach per say, but that’s what I did.

I didn’t speak for more than a minute, it came up towards the end because of something else I had mentioned. Overall, I don’t think firms are expecting you to recite those 3/4 paragraphs they write about the deal on the website, but it always helps to briefly outline the deal and why you picked that one. Of course, this is in the context of a deal that they’ve done, not sure if asking about an ongoing deal is common though. Hope it helps!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
is it normal for a firm to take a while to get back to you with feedback post-AC?
It is really variable, I had a call last year to let me know I was unsuccessful and they talked through all of my feedback and what to work on versus what I did well there and then on the same call. Another firm said they would email feedback after an unsuccessful AC at the start of September and I didn't receive anything (despite requests) until the 13th Jan! Every firm and process is different

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone have any advice on choosing vac scheme departments? I will of course choose what I find interesting and want to experience, but can anyone give any further recommendations?
Hi @LEL,

So for when I was doing vacation schemes, I did as @FS suggested and tried both a contentious and non-contentious seat (generally). I then thought about the practice areas that I was most excited about or interested in at that firm. For example, at White & Case I did EIPAF (a particular strength in London), whereas at Akin Gump I sat in Litigation (an area I was interested in exploring) and Insolvency (a particular strength in London).

I would not consider the number of hours rumoured to be worked in certain departments. I would also ignore rumours of conversion rates (personally I never heard that one practice area was 'harder' on a vacation scheme than another anyway).

So in short, balance what you are interested in with what the firm is good at. Think about if you were to practice at X firm, what area(s) you would want to explore on your TC!

Hi, does anyone have any advice for the Debevoise AC /Open Day? There will be an interview based on an FT article so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on that as well? Thank you! :)
Hi @robynm09,

Congratulations on being progressed to the AC stage with Debevoise! That's awesome news.

For article-based interviews, this post should be helpful. This post about ACs in general might be worth a read too.

I hope that is useful!

Besides choosing what you’re interested in, I guess I’d say try to do a seat in both a transactional and a contentious seat (if both are an option) - try out the best of both worlds!
@FS agreed. This is great advice!

Taylor Wessing AC invite 🥳 Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!
Hi @lellie23,

Congratulations on getting progressed to the AC stage! In addition to the posts I suggested above for @robynm09, this post may also be helpful (where @James Carrabino provides some fantastic advice). I would also recommend @AvniD's post here.

I hope that helps.

The biggest thing to do now that you have been invited, in my opinion, is to do preparation little and often if you can. The AC will come around quickly, but you will have at least a few days to prepare (which is plenty of time). Think about the areas that you feel comfortable about, and try to focus on those that you (currently) do not.

Please do reach out if you would like to ask any further clarifications!

In an interview question of what deals is the firm currently working on how much detail are you expected to go into?

Hi @TinaT,

To summarise the below, if you are going to bring up a particular deal, I would advise you to feel very comfortable discussing it and thinking critically about it under pressure. This is difficult to answer in the abstract, but I have been in an interview where half of my interview was centred around my thoughts on a commercial issue which was relevant to a deal that I mentioned. It therefore helps to have a strong footing in both the deal you are considering, but also the wider commercial context in which it is taking place.

If it helps, the process that I went through when thinking about a particular deal was this:

1. Research stage. I googled the deal to look for any news coverage that I could find about it or the firms involved and their strategies. This would take approximately 30-40 minutes maximum. I actually quite liked this stage(!). I often would print the articles I found.
2. In line with the above, I would look at the Partners/Counsel/(Senior) Associates listed as being involved with the deal and consider their backgrounds (often using LinkedIn). 10-20 minutes maximum. I would add this, where necessary, to the information I had compiled in 1. Often I just hand wrote particularly interesting pieces of information (e.g., if a Partner who went to my university worked on it, other interesting deals they worked on etc.).
3. Digestion stage. I would read through and highlight the information that I had compiled in Stage 1. This took approximately 1-2 hours.
4. Noting stage. Using the information that I had highlighted in 3., I would note down the key points that I had gathered in 3. Often I felt like I retained quite a bit of background, so this stage really was only the key points.
5. Critical thinking stage. Thinking about the sort of questions they could ask me about this deal if I spoke about it (including those concerning related wider commercial issues). These would always include basic questions like "why did you pick this deal?", "which departments do you think were involved?" as well as more difficult ones, such as "what do you think were the commercial implications of X?" or "what do you think would have been challenging working on this deal?". This stage would last an hour or so (although I would think about it up until my interview as often it took me a day or so to sit with the question until I felt comfortable answering confidently on it).

Do ask any clarifiers if you would like to! On hand to help as always 🚀

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
has anyone done W&C's VI and can give me some advice/tips? thanks :)
Hi @lawstudent135,

My advice (based on doing the VI in 2021) would be to consider the firm's overall global strategy, be comfortable talking about the three whys and consider some basic competence questions!

Very happy to help further if you would like :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I know this sort of question has been asked quite often but I am particularly nervous for my first AC (in just 12 days!). It's my first ever cycle and feel fortunate to have an AC with Burges Salmon. Does anybody have any particular tips or experiences for a virtual AC with BS? I'm trying my hardest, but given it's my first attempt, I am worried I might be approaching it all wrong.
A very dear friend had an AC with them and although she did not get a tc, she said that they were supportive, nice and her lack of commercial awareness was the reason why she did not get a tc.

• ℹ️
Reactions: James Carrabino
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.