TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Any final tips for my case study presentation tomorrow?
I did one last week and my mind went blank during it... Like everything I just read was gone
In the two case study presentations I’ve done the assessor has always commented on the fact that mine was shorter than they generally expected. It always puts me off when they say this but it’s always followed up by “no it’s fine, it’s how you answer the questions that matters” and “you covered enough ground anyway”. But it always makes me think, why tell me then?!
I have written about my approach to case studies here and @George Maxwell has provided a compilation of case study-related links here. The length of your presentation is not what is important but there are a lot of potential issues to cover so usually I found that my problem was keeping things within the time limit! If you are significantly under what they are expecting you should check that you are exploring every issue as thoroughly as possible, but if you are confident that you are doing so then don't second-guess yourself! It sounds like concision is a much greater strength for you than it is for me 🤣

I hope all of this helps :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi team,

I've got an assessment centre coming up for Mills & Reeve, and I wondered if anyone has advice? They have recently redesigned it to include a 'hackathon' using design thinking, a group presentation, and a written exercise.

I would appreciate any help.

This is my first assessment centre, and Mills & Reeve is my number one firm pick.

Thank you!
Hi @YMontgomeryWilliams - I do not know much about Mills & Reeve but I have written some advice on group exercises here and advice on written exercises here - I hope it helps 😊

Samir_O

Legendary Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hi all, I am a law grad / current paralegal and I am trying to get together a list of firms that look at candidates with paralegal experience/past careers favourably, and really value this experience. I know a lot of firm's tend to make it out they all feel this way, however I know this is simply not the same across all firms. If you have paralegal experience, are there any firms where you have got to interview/ AC stage, and felt that they valued this experience?
interesting, do you know of any firms that would not look on this type of experience as favourably? i would tend to say that any experience, especially paralegaling would be looked upon favourably by all firms?

Reactions: James Carrabino

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Anyone thought of bothering to apply for direct TC without a vac scheme but 3/4 years paralegal experience?
Yes! The majority of my apps are direct TC I only apply to VS where it’s a firm that only hires from VS. I have 3 years paralegal experience and no VSs. Had an AC today for direct TC and reached final stage for one just before Xmas before a final stage rejection.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey everyone, bit of a unique question today - I have a CV based interview coming up and I wrote down that I run a small business. Could the law firm ask me questions like "what is your annual turnover, profit margins, how much you pay your employees/in tax" like really dragon den style questions to test my commercial awareness or are questions like these construed as inappropriate?
Personally I would not worry too much about facing these questions, although the interviewers could ask you them in theory - I don't see why they would be considered inappropriate. I think it is unlikely you will get asked them but if you know the answers then it sounds like you are prepared anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.