TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Not less competitive - sometimes the numbers say more competitive, but I guess it depends what you're stronger at! I was good at interviews and bad at vac schemes... but I have a TC to show for it nonetheless :)
    I’m curious to know what you mean by being “bad” at vac schemes? Did you find them particularly difficult to stand out in? Or did you find it hard to talk about it in the TC interview? (Sorry if these are too personal!)

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I’m curious to know what you mean by being “bad” at vac schemes? Did you find them particularly difficult to stand out in? Or did you find it hard to talk about it in the TC interview? (Sorry if these are too personal!)
    Not too personal at all - to this day I am not quite sure what I mean either except for the fact that I was not very successful 🤣 I mean I could walk you through all the specific ways I think I fell down but it won't be particularly insightful as it was rather assessment-specific and it could just sound like I'm making excuses haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, bit of a unique question today - I have a CV based interview coming up and I wrote down that I run a small business. Could the law firm ask me questions like "what is your annual turnover, profit margins, how much you pay your employees/in tax" like really dragon den style questions to test my commercial awareness or are questions like these construed as inappropriate?
    You could be asked about turn over/profits. They are unlikely to ask about what you are paying employees but might be interested to know how many employees you have.

georgiejg

Jan 6, 2022
    Hi! I can't confirm as I haven't had mine yet, however from what I gather from others there is no interview. Check your TopScore, as I believe it sets out the running order and plan for the AC and mine doesn't include time for an interview! Hope this helps and best of luck, you will do great :)

Thanks - that is super helpful!

Best of luck to you too.

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
    Also, does anyone have any tips for Fieldfisher's telephone interview? I thought it would be actually over the telephone but it seems to be on teams and therefore is a normal virtual interview?? Can anyone clarify?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Not too personal at all - to this day I am not quite sure what I mean either except for the fact that I was not very successful 🤣 I mean I could walk you through all the specific ways I think I fell down but it won't be particularly insightful as it was rather assessment-specific and it could just sound like I'm making excuses haha
    That’s completely fair! Having never done a VS, the idea of being inherently bad at it scares me haha! I’m glad you got the TC in the end :D

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    wowza, how common is this? and do you think there was anything that made them stand out?
    Hi! I got a TC at CC with 0 legal experience (or commercial in general) so this might help. Then again, CC doesn't have vac schemes (excluding SPARK) so I'm not sure how relevant this is for every firm. I did 3 virtual experience programmes (Forage) -- some firms see this as the equivalent of legal work experience so in their eyes I think I stood out to some extent. White & Case and CC are two examples of firms that see this as 'real' work experience. Other than that, it's all about how you convey your points. In my work experience section, I always link how the skills I learned would make me a good solicitor. The same goes with my positions of responsibilities and ECAs in the app. Imo this conveys to the recruiter you're very ready to take on a TC at X firm because 1) you know what is expected of you, 2) you can demonstrate how you would be good at it. Of Course, some firms won't see much merit in this (i.e. Links allegedly wants assessed legal experience if you're applying directly for a TC) but I think that's what helped me stand out. But, as mentioned, this was for CC who do not offer VS's to penultimate year students. All my non-CC apps are for VS's rather than direct TC's :).

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi! I got a TC at CC with 0 legal experience (or commercial in general) so this might help. Then again, CC doesn't have vac schemes (excluding SPARK) so I'm not sure how relevant this is for every firm. I did 3 virtual experience programmes (Forage) -- some firms see this as the equivalent of legal work experience so in their eyes I think I stood out to some extent. White & Case and CC are two examples of firms that see this as 'real' work experience. Other than that, it's all about how you convey your points. In my work experience section, I always link how the skills I learned would make me a good solicitor. The same goes with my positions of responsibilities and ECAs in the app. Imo this conveys to the recruiter you're very ready to take on a TC at X firm because 1) you know what is expected of you, 2) you can demonstrate how you would be good at it. Of Course, some firms won't see much merit in this (i.e. Links allegedly wants assessed legal experience if you're applying directly for a TC) but I think that's what helped me stand out. But, as mentioned, this was for CC who do not offer VS's to penultimate year students. All my non-CC apps are for VS's rather than direct TC's :).
    This is very helpful overall, and I think that broadly it stands to reason that if you're a graduate or otherwise 'out of season' for vac schemes with a given firm, direct TC would be fair play regardless of experience. There aren't a lot of firms which have this exclusion (though most of the MC does - FF, CC, S&M) but I reckon it's worth thinking about for anyone looking to be strategic about direct apps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.