TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiejg

Jan 6, 2022
Hi! I can't confirm as I haven't had mine yet, however from what I gather from others there is no interview. Check your TopScore, as I believe it sets out the running order and plan for the AC and mine doesn't include time for an interview! Hope this helps and best of luck, you will do great :)

Thanks - that is super helpful!

Best of luck to you too.

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
Also, does anyone have any tips for Fieldfisher's telephone interview? I thought it would be actually over the telephone but it seems to be on teams and therefore is a normal virtual interview?? Can anyone clarify?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Not too personal at all - to this day I am not quite sure what I mean either except for the fact that I was not very successful 🤣 I mean I could walk you through all the specific ways I think I fell down but it won't be particularly insightful as it was rather assessment-specific and it could just sound like I'm making excuses haha
    That’s completely fair! Having never done a VS, the idea of being inherently bad at it scares me haha! I’m glad you got the TC in the end :D

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    wowza, how common is this? and do you think there was anything that made them stand out?
    Hi! I got a TC at CC with 0 legal experience (or commercial in general) so this might help. Then again, CC doesn't have vac schemes (excluding SPARK) so I'm not sure how relevant this is for every firm. I did 3 virtual experience programmes (Forage) -- some firms see this as the equivalent of legal work experience so in their eyes I think I stood out to some extent. White & Case and CC are two examples of firms that see this as 'real' work experience. Other than that, it's all about how you convey your points. In my work experience section, I always link how the skills I learned would make me a good solicitor. The same goes with my positions of responsibilities and ECAs in the app. Imo this conveys to the recruiter you're very ready to take on a TC at X firm because 1) you know what is expected of you, 2) you can demonstrate how you would be good at it. Of Course, some firms won't see much merit in this (i.e. Links allegedly wants assessed legal experience if you're applying directly for a TC) but I think that's what helped me stand out. But, as mentioned, this was for CC who do not offer VS's to penultimate year students. All my non-CC apps are for VS's rather than direct TC's :).

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi! I got a TC at CC with 0 legal experience (or commercial in general) so this might help. Then again, CC doesn't have vac schemes (excluding SPARK) so I'm not sure how relevant this is for every firm. I did 3 virtual experience programmes (Forage) -- some firms see this as the equivalent of legal work experience so in their eyes I think I stood out to some extent. White & Case and CC are two examples of firms that see this as 'real' work experience. Other than that, it's all about how you convey your points. In my work experience section, I always link how the skills I learned would make me a good solicitor. The same goes with my positions of responsibilities and ECAs in the app. Imo this conveys to the recruiter you're very ready to take on a TC at X firm because 1) you know what is expected of you, 2) you can demonstrate how you would be good at it. Of Course, some firms won't see much merit in this (i.e. Links allegedly wants assessed legal experience if you're applying directly for a TC) but I think that's what helped me stand out. But, as mentioned, this was for CC who do not offer VS's to penultimate year students. All my non-CC apps are for VS's rather than direct TC's :).
    This is very helpful overall, and I think that broadly it stands to reason that if you're a graduate or otherwise 'out of season' for vac schemes with a given firm, direct TC would be fair play regardless of experience. There aren't a lot of firms which have this exclusion (though most of the MC does - FF, CC, S&M) but I reckon it's worth thinking about for anyone looking to be strategic about direct apps.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    For anyone who’s done Weil’s video interview, did you have unlimited time to prepare before you recorded your individual response? I’m nervous to so much as open the link because I don’t feel ready 😭

Last edited:

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    I got a direct TC with no vac schemes & no legal or non-legal work experience. im doing a vocational degree so I tried to highlight the skills and experiences i've gained from my course as well as my extra-curricular activities.
    This is excellent. Thank you! I’m a late career changer and a foreign student, so it’s great to know that if I can just really highlight the previous skills and experiences I’ve gained, then that may well be enough :)

Last edited:

s10

Distinguished Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    It varies a lot - if you're like 2 weeks before deadline you're ahead of a majority of candidates. A rule of thumb I've seen is to try to apply within the first 2/3 of the application window.

In a perfect world I would submit every application 6 weeks in advance of close, but that's essentially arbitrary and often not practicable if you are in work or study.

Different firms also approach rolling with different degrees of austerity - Slaughters will genuinely fill out its offers before the deadline, while others will only start progressing candidates a few weeks before close and will continue for several weeks after. Unfortunately there isn't a consolidated bit of guidance on this point and I think it would be very hard to make one, but it can probably be sussed out by trawling through old posts or asking about past experiences.
    Really agree with this. This was the first app cycle where I was able to send in apps to firms within the first 1-2 weeks of opening. I found that wherever I was an early applicant, my application was forwarded to at least the next stage of the cycle, so highly recommend this!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @syw I am really glad that my post resonates with you :) Truthfully, I had a very similar experience in my own application process! Now in some ways I was also perhaps a strange candidate, although I would certainly not claim to be any more 'unique' than any other candidate on here! I applied to law firms whilst pursuing a master's degree in piano performance and having pursued my undergraduate degree in liberal arts in the United States. I had next to no work experience under my belt, let alone legal work experience and I did not fit into the familiar 2nd-year law/final year non-law categories.

I got to the final interview stage at six different firms and only one of those was a UK firm - that was the only one where I was unsuccessful. Now it could certainly be the case that US firms valued my US education, but I also got a sense that they liked the fact I had explored other things. I think that UK firms do an excellent job of hiring diverse candidates (in many ways more than US firms), but I would say that this diversity manifests itself slightly differently.

Each firm has their own approach and you start to realise that as you traverse the process :)
    I strongly agree with you, I have attended various events and what I realised is that US firms really valued my background and maturity.
    I believe that Americans in general value candidates who are not afraid to explore other things, while UK firms are more inclined to target young students. I do not know what's best, personally I know I want to become a litigator but also experience a bit of corporate, hence US firms are better for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.