TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

losinghopeslowlylol

Feb 10, 2022
872 results apparently when you search 2023 TCs on LCN ….. 🤯

Thank you! Though I think most of these are mistakenly included by the search algorithm and only accept 2024 applications. I should have been more specific. I was really just wondering if anyone knew of any mid to large firms that had a direct route (like Fieldfisher) or there were still 2023 places open following a VS (like Ropes & Gray or Shearman advertised)

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Thank you! Though I think most of these are mistakenly included by the search algorithm and only accept 2024 applications. I should have been more specific. I was really just wondering if anyone knew of any mid to large firms that had a direct route (like Fieldfisher) or there were still 2023 places open following a VS (like Ropes & Gray or Shearman advertised)
I don't think that's consolidated anywhere - lots of firms will mention somewhere on their grad opps pages that they have 2023 availabilities, though even if they *don't* I've been told it's worth applying to 2024 and then having a conversation about moving the date up when/if you get the offer. Worst case scenario you end up with a '24 TC secured, which is hardly a lamentable position in which to find oneself.

My advice re: directs would be to focus mainly on what firms you want to apply to and then let the rest flow from there.

losinghopeslowlylol

Feb 10, 2022
I don't think that's consolidated anywhere - lots of firms will mention somewhere on their grad opps pages that they have 2023 availabilities, though even if they *don't* I've been told it's worth applying to 2024 and then having a conversation about moving the date up when/if you get the offer. Worst case scenario you end up with a '24 TC secured, which is hardly a lamentable position in which to find oneself.

My advice re: directs would be to focus mainly on what firms you want to apply to and then let the rest flow from there.
Cheers. I've had enough PFOs now that I would work at any firm haha

Reactions: James Carrabino

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Cheers. I've had enough PFOs now that I would work at any firm haha
I've had similar thoughts and maybe you're being a bit tongue in cheek, but I'd strongly caution against that kind of thinking.

A certain kind of candidate with sterling academic credentials can get away with lacking sufficiently specific interest, or loosely bluffing through the process - I've seen this happen a few times.

For the rest of us, the 'I'd go anywhere' mentality gets sniffed out at the outset and can crush what might be otherwise decent chances. Do try and really zero in on firms which genuinely excite you, whether it's their work or their culture (ideally both). Far more likely to make it on a handful of serious applications than just throwing as much as you can at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I've cleared the papercut only once, and it was because I had intensely engaged with the firm over a number of years in a variety of contexts. It simply isn't possible to do that with more than a handful of firms.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Many in there are looking for 2023 intakes (from the pages I looked at anyway), it’s probably worthwhile spending sometime skimming through each firms profile to find out what they are recruiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.