TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    TLDR: Thank you to the TCLA community.

After not getting past the application stage in the previous 2 recruitment cycles, I’m delighted to say that I have secured a vacation scheme at my dream firm. I’m still processing!

One of the main ways I changed my approach this application season was to actively use TCLA to draw from the experience of the incredible community, as well as get advice or boost my motivation when it was low and all seemed impossible (which was a lot…).

Thank you to all for the collective sense of support, for responding to any of my DMs, the wealth of information, and all the good-hearted laughs in between.
    Really proud to read this, well done :)

U

Jan 31, 2022
    for anyone who did interviews at Birketts, how did you deliver your presentation? I'm a bit nervous at the thought of faffing around trying to connect my laptop to a projector, but maybe visuals are good? Also was wondering if there was a written task or if it was just purely an interview :)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Hogan Lovells doesn’t let you apply for a direct tc in the same year:

“If your vacation scheme application is unsuccessful, you will need to wait until the following year (from September 2022) to complete a training contract or another vacation scheme application.”

• Sad
    Reactions: GXA123

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Has anyone got tips for nerves for an Ac? I literally feel so unconfident and sound so bad when I practice interview questions! I am literally so anxious I mess up and lose such a great opportunity!
    I think there are three points at which you can work to prevent nerves negatively impacting your AC:

1. In the days/weeks leading up to your AC
    The first key to avoiding the wrong type of nerves is to be really well prepared. Now, this sounds obvious right? Well, the fact is that you will have nerves regardless and nerves can be a good thing, giving you that extra edge and ability to focus! The wrong kind of nerves are when you feel slightly under prepared and are actually fearful of certain questions being asked or don't feel that you have a broad enough knowledge base about the firm. To this end, I would check out the post I wrote here about how to prepare for an AC so that you feel ready!

2. On the morning of the AC
    The right kind of nerves are not bad unless you have them to an overwhelming extent and the best way to avoid this is to tell yourself that you will do an excellent job (it sounds cheesy but it works) and take deep breaths before the AC to help you think clearly! Do not tell yourself that you 'feel so unconfident and sound so bad', mainly because it almost certainly is not true (we are all our own worst critics when it comes to these things) and also because it puts you in the wrong mindset going in. Before your AC, literally say out loud to yourself, 'I am going to ace this AC!'

Also, I am not sure whether there is any scientific basis for this lol but musicians talk about calming nerves by eating bananas before a performance (supposedly something to do with the potassium in them - I don't know whether that's true) 🤣 Anyway perhaps it's down to the placebo effect but it worked at calming me down before an AC as well!

3. During the AC
    Be prepared for that moment where you have just been asked a question you don't know the answer to. Every candidate will face moments like this, and even if you end up giving a below average answer it is unlikely to have any bearing on the outcome of your AC at all. What could impact whether or not you are successful is how you approach such a situation - if you seize up and remain on edge for the rest of your AC then this could have a negative effect, but if you take a deep breath and ask to think before trying your hand at an answer, then you will show the people assessing you that you are able to deal with pressure and not let it phase you. Ultimately, if you don't know the answer to one question it really won't be a problem - just remember to keep telling yourself throughout how you will ace it and keep taking deep breaths!

I know that nerves are a drag and dealing with them can be a matter of practice, but I hope this is at least somewhat helpful :)

Last edited:

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Purely out of curiosity, what are people thoughts on posting about a Vacation Scheme offer on LinkedIn? Is it a good thing to do, are there any negatives or is it ultimately personal choice?

I’m seeing a lot of posts pop up on my feed, hence the question.
    I think a polite update is fine and some firms even want their vac schemers to do this for marketing purposes! A long emotional post thanking every friend and family member is personally not my favourite thing to come across on LinkedIn though 🤣

Also I find the 'Offer Holder' updates weird and I've even seen people list under work experience 'Assessment Centre work experience day'...

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    different, VS then TC

here’s what I have so far. going to keep looking, send a bunch of emails out, and update the list accordingly:

Yes
    Boodle Hatfield
    Farrer & Co
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Norton Rose Fulbright
    Slaughter & May
    Travers Smith

No
    Addleshaw Goddard
    Allen & Overy
    Baker McKenzie
    Bird & Bird
    Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
    Clyde & Co
    CMS
    Davis Polk & Wardell
    Dechert
    DLA Piper
    Gateley
    Gowling WLG
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Hogan Lovells
    Irwin Mitchell
    Mills & Reeve
    Mishcon de Reya
    Reed Smith
    Ropes & Gray
    Shearman & Sterling
    Sidley Austin
    Stephenson Harwood

Unclear
    Dentons
    Vinson & Elkins
    Weil, Gotshal, & Manges

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    here’s what I have so far. going to keep looking, send a bunch of emails out, and update the list accordingly:

Yes
    Macfarlanes
    Farrer & Co
    Linklaters
    NRF
    Slaughter & May

No
    Addleshaw Goddard
    Allen & Overy
    Baker McKenzie
    Clyde & Co
    Dechert
    Hogan Lovells
    Shearman & Sterling

Unclear
    Dentons
    Ropes & Gray
    V&E
    Weil
    Dentons is unlikely but who knows. Weil depends on how many places are available after VS.

Reactions: Adrian_S
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.