TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray00313

Jan 9, 2022
TW PFO. Sorry for the negativity, but I really don't think that TW's arctic shores assessment is a true or fair representation of our personalities. I scored 0 for interpersonal skills which I find hard to believe.
Same here, stopped by the TW GBA test.
The silliest reason to deliver a rejection based on some random buttons (which already costed you 60+mins), provided TW asked you to write quite a specific, far from straightforward application.
It's indeed a sunk cost but still a massive waste of candidate's resource imo.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I cannot believe that I'm writing this, but I got an offer for the VS at MB!!!!!!!!!! It's my first vac scheme ever and it's for my dream firm!

Since finishing the LPC, I've been in this awkward purgatory... but 3 cycles later, I've got it! Shocked is an understatement right now 🥺😅
    SO happy for you!!! well deserved :)

• Love
    Reactions: djqb and AW_08

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    How important do you think it is to complete a forage virtual experience of the firm you have an upcoming AC for? I understand it shows a further investment in getting to know the firm but its so soon (alongside exams) that I'm stuck for time and would prefer to carry on with the other avenues of research. I'm not actually sure it's even checked and if I'd be asked about it but would love to know anyones thoughts.
    I found forage particularly useful for my technical knowledge. Not so much firm knowledge apart from seeing how that firm would approach clients and their work. For instance, in terms of technique, I completed a forage internship with CC during which I was able to see some email templates the firm provided. During my AC, this came in handy with structuring my own written exercise.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and GXA123

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Cooley reply

“We are aiming to contact applicants who have been shortlisted to the second stage of our selection process (a 30-minute critical thinking assessment) by Tuesday 22 February 2022 via email.”

Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it surprising when there appears to be multiple candidates holding multiple MC VS (or even TC) offers and they their dates clash? I'd be interested to hear your perspective from Grad Rec. Presumably its because you don't want to lose a 'good'/'excellent' candidate? I did think it was rather scrappy that offers were being accelerated or heavily influenced by other MC offers, and at times, I found it a bit ridiculous that TC offers were being given from VS ACs as a result of competing VS offers.
    Your final sentence is exactly why I find it surprising.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    A bit random but just thought I'd share this with y'all prepping for ACs :) I personally found reading a firm's annual report pretty useful as it gives you a quick & good overview of the firm's performance, areas of focus and future development plans. Some firms even list out highlights (important deals) over the past year; sometimes there is info which cannot be found elsewhere on the firm's website. Not saying reading annual reports is sufficient or necessary but it helped me a lot.

Last edited:

B A

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 4, 2020
    Anyone who did a video interview and written exercise for a Dechert vs, how long did they take to get back to you?

Last edited:

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    A bit random but just thought I'd share this with y'all prepping for ACs :) I personally found reading a firm's annual report pretty useful as its gives you a quick & good overview of the firm's performance, areas of focus and future development plans. Some firms even list out highlights (important deals) over the past year; sometimes there is info which cannot be found elsewhere on the firm's website. Not saying reading annual reports is sufficient or necessary but it helped me a lot.
    Yess I really agree with this! It might not be for everyone, but I found the info on future developments in annual reviews particularly helpful (e.g., how many lateral hires were made, which offices were under-performing worldwide etc. etc.). This really helped when it came to answering questions like where should they open a new office or what makes the firm different (e.g., in one interview, I had a really great conversation with a partner about the firm’s less aggressive growth strategy in comparison to its competitors)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.