TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeytea

Feb 18, 2022
TLDR: Thank you to the TCLA community.

After not getting past the application stage in the previous 2 recruitment cycles, I’m delighted to say that I have secured a vacation scheme at my dream firm. I’m still processing!

One of the main ways I changed my approach this application season was to actively use TCLA to draw from the experience of the incredible community, as well as get advice or boost my motivation when it was low and all seemed impossible (which was a lot…).

Thank you to all for the collective sense of support, for responding to any of my DMs, the wealth of information, and all the good-hearted laughs in between.

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
In an application form which only gives you 4 work experience slots, would it be ok to mention a completely new one (one that's not in the 4 slots) when answering one of the questions?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thanks a lot! I’ll check out that post now.

Unfortunately I genuinely have no idea what is meant by skills assessment. The AC is in person, there is little information in terms of the recruitment cycle anywhere, on the forum or otherwise. I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide insight but Wedlake Bell is scarcely mentioned for some reason.

It literally just says that the day will involve an interview and a skills assessment (2 hours in total).
Perhaps @Jessica Booker will know what a skills assessment would entail? I could imagine it being anything from an online test to a competency interview, which isn't very helpful!

Reactions: George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you for the clarification! Also, are there any tips on how to prep for in house paralegal roles? I have one on Tuesday, but I'm unsure about how much research is required into the company itself
Hi @Amanpreet Kaur! I have written on how to prepare for paralegal interviews here, and I think the main to think about for an in-house role is that you need to demonstrate a sincere enthusiasm for the work the company is doing as it will be all you are working on!

They may wish to know whether you plan to leave to pursue a training contract one day or not - do you know whether you are interviewing for a fixed-term role or an indefinite position? Make sure to have an answer prepared for that! There is a possibly outdated example of the type of questions a candidate received in an in-house interview from a few years ago at this link.

I hope that all helps :)

Reactions: George Maxwell
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.